Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dquattlebum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Sacramento,CA
Hello All,

I've got a MacBook Air that is having very random lock up issues.
Here are the specs:
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.86 GHz
Memory: 2 GB

The MacBook will just lock up no matter whats running, whether its just Safari and iTunes open, or just Safari, or just PhotoShop, or just iTunes. Whether its hooked up via wifi or via a network cable.

What I've done so far is this:
- Wiped Hard Drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard - No issues with install
- Ran Disk Utility to Repair and Verify the hard drive - Came Back Green
- Ran Memtest with 6 loops to test the memory - came back green
- Used Onyx to test Hard Drive and clean system
- Temperatures are fine while running, computer doesn't even get warm

I was thinking it might be the video but there's no flickering at any time, I can stream video or run a local video in fullscreen just fine without any issues.

The last time it locked up, the system.log said it was trying to write something to the Safari cache and then it showed my "unexpected shutdown" from me turning off the computer to boot it back up...

Is there anything else I can test or try? I've been contemplating trying to find/purchase an SSD for the Air since it has the factory 4200rpm disk drive in it.

Looking for recommendations... Thanks.:apple::apple:

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I had a similar problem. I'd be running a few programs at once and then everything would become unresponsive. I'd try to quit them, no luck. So, I'd have to do a hard reboot. I erased, reinstalled OSX, still kept happening. Brought it into my local Apple store and they said it was a RAM issue. So, I had to send it back to Apple, get a new one overnighted. Opened it up, ran Time Machine and then uh oh, it still kept happening. Then I decided, it has to be something on my end. I erased, reinstalled, then DIDN'T restore from my Time Machine backup. So far so good. Although, I keep thinking it'll do the same thing at any moment.

dquattlebum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Sacramento,CA
This last time that I rebuilt it, I didn't do a full restore from the TM backup, I only restored files. I didn't want to do a full restore just in case there were some settings that work F'd up.

I'm hoping it's not the memory, which it probably will be, cause I don't have apple care for it. :mad::(:mad:

Good Luck on yours not freaking out on you! :)

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
This last time that I rebuilt it, I didn't do a full restore from the TM backup, I only restored files. I didn't want to do a full restore just in case there were some settings that work F'd up.

I'm hoping it's not the memory, which it probably will be, cause I don't have apple care for it. :mad::(:mad:

Good Luck on yours not freaking out on you! :)

Oh, is yours over a year old? You should try to take it in anyway. Apple is really good with that sort of stuff. I had a friend who's Time Capsule died the other day and it was 2+ years old. They gave him a new one. Worth a shot!

dquattlebum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Sacramento,CA
Oh, is yours over a year old? You should try to take it in anyway. Apple is really good with that sort of stuff. I had a friend who's Time Capsule died the other day and it was 2+ years old. They gave him a new one. Worth a shot!

Yea, I'm hoping for a Genius who's in a good mood that might be able to hook me up! I spend enough of my $$ with Apple!! lol! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.