Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1
iHalo
macrumors regular

Apple At-Home Advisor...

http://www.apple.com/jobs/collegeadvisor/

Seems like a sweet gig for a college student. Anyone here doing it?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:15 PM   #2
macfrik
macrumors 6502

I did the interview last Wednesday in my university. I felt the interview was great. Cant wait to hear from them in about 2-3 weeks.

Did you apply for it too?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
lordking65
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfrik View Post
I did the interview last Wednesday in my university. I felt the interview was great. Cant wait to hear from them in about 2-3 weeks.

Do you remember some questions they asked you? What did you wear?
lordking65 is offline   0
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:34 AM   #4
FrauHasSpoken
macrumors member

I have an interview with them too for this position.

Do you remember what sort of questions they ask?
FrauHasSpoken is offline   0
Old Apr 7, 2011, 02:46 PM   #5
pinkcoffeecup
macrumors newbie

Yep

Well, I already did my in-person interview with them, last Tuesday. They asked me all kinds of questions, everything from what type of computer I have now, and its specs (RAM, memory, etc) to what I'd do if a customer, say, dropped his new macbook and broke it, but called to see if there was some kind of fix (which there obviously isn't, and Apple doesn't cover accidental damage in the warranty). So basically prepare for customer service questions, and some tech questions.

They also asked me about a problem I'd recently had with my computer, and the steps I took to solve it. I think I freaked the interviewer out, because I told him I was in the command prompt using things like ipconfig/renew, but I didn't know how much RAM my PC has. :P

Anyway, I got an email on Friday telling me that they wanted to move to a phone interview, which I scheduled a time and day for. But then this week, I got an email telling me that they decided to skip the phone interview entirely, and that I should move right along to filling out an official Apple application, and getting the background check started.

So I'm excited to hear about whether or not I got a job offer. But that's basically my process so far--it didn't take long at all for them to get back to me, and I'm really hopeful.
pinkcoffeecup is offline   1
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Joshuarocks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcoffeecup View Post
Well, I already did my in-person interview with them, last Tuesday. They asked me all kinds of questions, everything from what type of computer I have now, and its specs (RAM, memory, etc) to what I'd do if a customer, say, dropped his new macbook and broke it, but called to see if there was some kind of fix (which there obviously isn't, and Apple doesn't cover accidental damage in the warranty). So basically prepare for customer service questions, and some tech questions.

They also asked me about a problem I'd recently had with my computer, and the steps I took to solve it. I think I freaked the interviewer out, because I told him I was in the command prompt using things like ipconfig/renew, but I didn't know how much RAM my PC has. :P

Anyway, I got an email on Friday telling me that they wanted to move to a phone interview, which I scheduled a time and day for. But then this week, I got an email telling me that they decided to skip the phone interview entirely, and that I should move right along to filling out an official Apple application, and getting the background check started.

So I'm excited to hear about whether or not I got a job offer. But that's basically my process so far--it didn't take long at all for them to get back to me, and I'm really hopeful.
good luck, but this doesn't change the fact the job market is still horrible and still worse than ever before. Health care at least is where one should be, as you can never run out of doctors and nurses.
Joshuarocks is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Fozzybadfeet
macrumors regular

Quote:

I too am on the same boat as you. Apple cancelled my second interview and decided to move forward with the application and background check...Waiting patiently to hear back from my background check.

Does anyone know how long the background check takes?
Fozzybadfeet is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:02 PM   #8
n8jackson80
macrumors newbie

Quote:

hey so i had a question. i applied for this same position and am headed down to salt lake city for an interview this week. but i have a problem...apple doesnt offer this program at my university and so i lied on my app and said i attend university of utah. Does apple ask about your student id number or proof that your a student or anything? any help would be appreciated i would love to get this position, it just sucks because apple doesnt offer the program to the college i go to
n8jackson80 is offline   0
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Well, I already did my in-person interview with them, last Tuesday. They asked me all kinds of questions, everything from what type of computer I have now, and its specs (RAM, memory, etc) ...
If it were up to me, I'd hire you simply because you're one of the very few people I've seen around here who has used "its" correctly

Cheers!
kdarling is offline   2
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfrik View Post

It's been a year. So... how was it?
Blackberryroid is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Joshuarocks
Banned

Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHalo View Post
http://www.apple.com/jobs/collegeadvisor/

Seems like a sweet gig for a college student. Anyone here doing it?
Considering the way the market is right now, and gas going higher plus food prices going up, 16 hours at say 10 an hour isn't going to get you very far.. You are better off doing bartending or something, at least there you can make 100 or more a nite, assuming you have a bartender's license.

And frankly, the way Apple would pay for that kind of job is not worth it as you won't be able to support yourself too long on it.
Joshuarocks is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:48 PM   #12
iHalo
macrumors regular

Joshuarocks, you work from home so there is no commute! That is the beauty of it. It is definitely a great way to kickstart a career, as the job requires initiative and the ability to work both as an individual and in a team environment.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:52 PM   #13
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
Considering the way the market is right now, and gas going higher plus food prices going up, 16 hours at say 10 an hour isn't going to get you very far.. You are better off doing bartending or something, at least there you can make 100 or more a nite, assuming you have a bartender's license.

And frankly, the way Apple would pay for that kind of job is not worth it as you won't be able to support yourself too long on it.
For college kids it might be a perfect amount of hours.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:20 PM   #14
kyur4end
macrumors member

I was just contacted by my recruiter from Apple. He requested that I send something to him to verify employment for my years as Freelance. Anyone else have their recruiter ask this of them? I haven't heard a word about this from anyone.
kyur4end is offline   0
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Stukenbroeker
macrumors member

My status update......still waiting! HireRight emailed me today to verify freelance work. I gave them a 1099 form and crossed my fingers. It doesn't account for the whole time I listed, but it's the best I can do. Still hoping for that 11/26 class!
Stukenbroeker is offline   0
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:50 PM   #16
koolaid-drinker
macrumors 6502

I receive my paperwork tomorrow.

Exciting times!!

Can't wait to start training and put my nose to the grindstone
and start studying!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Sjbuckeyes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid-drinker View Post
I receive my paperwork tomorrow.

Exciting times!!

Can't wait to start training and put my nose to the grindstone
and start studying!
Yay. I went to Apple store today to get my I9 verified. I will ship the paperwork via fed ex tomorrow
Sjbuckeyes is offline   1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #18
shortz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjbuckeyes View Post
Yay. I went to Apple store today to get my I9 verified. I will ship the paperwork via fed ex tomorrow
I have my paperwork call tomorrow.... I will be hitting up the Apple Store this weekend to do my I9 we're almost to our box delivery!!!
shortz is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:27 PM   #19
carrero15
macrumors newbie

Apple At-Home Advisor

I have an interview with Apple about the at home advisor next week. Does anybody have any idea of the pay?
carrero15 is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:02 AM   #20
miles01110
macrumors 604

Probably pretty crappy. Ask in your interview.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:51 PM   #21
leesuhhbee
macrumors newbie

I've heard anything from $12-$16 an hour.
leesuhhbee is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:56 PM   #22
tealprius
macrumors newbie

To update.. pay can be $9.15 through staffing company and higher directly through Apple. Oops wrong forum! Sorry :/

Last edited by tealprius; Sep 5, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
tealprius is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:57 PM   #23
AngryGerbil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealprius View Post
To update.. pay can be $9.15 through staffing company and higher directly through Apple.
$9.15 with Kelly and $15 with Apple.
AngryGerbil is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Mikeyd640
macrumors newbie

Apple at home advisor position!

Hey all,

I applied for an at home advisor position at my university and I am really hoping to get the job. Has anyone else interviewed with them and know any questions that they asked? Did any of you actually get the job? What is it like? How was the hiring process? Long and drawn out or straight and to the point?

I saw a question online that said "if a customer called crying because she dropped her macbook and wanted help, what would you tell her considering they dont have a damage policy?" All I could think of is empathizing with her and scheduling an appointment to bring her in to see what she can do. Possibly try to work a deal out for a discount for a new one or repair? I am not to sure.

Thanks guys.
Mikeyd640 is offline   1
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:39 AM   #25
tdadarwala
macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just had my interview over the phone yesterday for the At Home Advisor position. I think the interview went well. She asked me to tell her about my self, what I like to do, what drives me. She went over the needs of the job. At first the process begins with a 4-5 week full time training, then moves to Part time (20-24 hr week). I have to work one sat or sun a week for 8 hours, the remainder ours are split up during the other days. They give great benefits, stock options, and discounts on products.

She asked me:

What would you do if your macbook (or any apple device was not starting up)? -I answered, well check if the device is plugged in to see if it is drawing power or charging. If not, then lets schedule a meeting with a local Apple store Genius.

What would you do if a USB device is not working? - told her...make sure that the device does not need a seperate power sources (ie external hardrive or printer). If it is plugged in and 'on', then you may been to download drivers for the device.

Tell me about a customer service issue you recently had and how you delt with it? - I manage a hotel, and told her about a story with a guest who had issues.

Tell me what irritates you about other people? - I told her not being on time. And then I told her reasons and examples why.

Over all the interview was very relaxed and friendly. Thats what Apple wants. A friendly environment for people to communicate in.

Based on her reactions and comments, I think I got the job. I will post again and let you know for sure.
tdadarwala is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion