Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I live in Japan and am traveling now to the US for the first time with my Japanese iPhone? My wife is in Japan and I'd like to confirm that using FaceTime is totally free. Also, I don't seem to be able to initiate a FaceTime chat with her. She can initiate a call to me to my phone number. When I try to initiate a call to her phone it says she not setup for FaceTime (or something like that). Because she's calling my phone number to FaceTime, that's why I'm concerned that I'm getting billed.

So, basically, how should we be initiating calls? By email address, phone number, either?

Thanks...

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I live in Japan and am traveling now to the US for the first time with my Japanese iPhone? My wife is in Japan and I'd like to confirm that using FaceTime is totally free. Also, I don't seem to be able to initiate a FaceTime chat with her. She can initiate a call to me to my phone number. When I try to initiate a call to her phone it says she not setup for FaceTime (or something like that). Because she's calling my phone number to FaceTime, that's why I'm concerned that I'm getting billed.

So, basically, how should we be initiating calls? By email address, phone number, either?

Thanks...

Hi there, enjoy your stay in the US.

As for your facetime question, When you have wifi connected. I believe is free whether using email or phone number. However i would think if your calling from 2 different countries, Shouldnt your be including the area code and such ? otherwise email should do the job.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland

It's interesting that my wife can initiate the call but I can't. She's doing the same thing as me. She opens her contact list, selects my name and selects FaceTime and then my phone number without making any changes. I can initiate now if I use the call history, but not if I select her phone number.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine

It's interesting that my wife can initiate the call but I can't. She's doing the same thing as me. She opens her contact list, selects my name and selects FaceTime and then my phone number without making any changes. I can initiate now if I use the call history, but not if I select her phone number.

facetime it buggy at best...so I wont be surprised.. I set up facetime on my mac and I try to call myself.. the mac face time uses a mac id.. anyways sometimes I dont even get the request...so I wouldnt worry about it.

I assume you have your wide saved with the + and all that..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.