Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Business Insider reports on a research note from Deutsche Bank estimating sales of Motorola's Android-based Xoom tablet at only about 100,000 units since its late February launch, based on Android developer statistics showing that only 0.2% of Android devices accessing the Android Market during the second half of March had the Android 3.0 "Honeycomb" operating system installed. The Xoom is currently the only device on the market running Honeycomb.

The Guardian runs through the calculation, finding 100,000 units to be a reasonable result for Xoom sales based on piecing together data from publicly-available sources on usage and market share, although the number could be a bit higher.

Mobile advertising firm Chitika has seen similar indications in its tracking of Internet browsing habits via its extensive ad network, finding the iPad outnumbering the Xoom 65-to 1 on its network.

Taken on its own, 100,000 units in a little over a month on the market for the Xoom is not a terrible number, especially considering that the device has only been launched in the United States, but it certainly appears to pale in comparison to the iPad and suggests that competitors have yet to launch a tablet product to capture consumers' imaginations anywhere nearly as successfully as Apple has.

Apple sold 300,000 iPads (including pre-orders) on its launch day in April 2010, reaching the one million mark after just 28 days. All told, Apple shipped nearly 15 million iPads in 2010 and has already released the second-generation iPad, although the company has yet to release sales numbers for the new model. Surveys have continued to show, however, strong consumer preference for the iPad over competing tablet products.

Article Link: Motorola Xoom Tablet Sales: Approximately 100,000 Units So Far?

BLUELION

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
How funny...

Score, iPad2=1, Xoom=0.

but really, if we adjust for # of sales the score is more like:

ipad2=20, Xoom=1

Last edited by a moderator:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Motorola doesn't "get" tablets yet, but the G1 didn't sell well either. Let's look at the market again in two years, I bet it'll look a lot different.

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
If tablet sales were Little League baseball, the game would be over because of the mercy rule.

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Wow, that's success that only a Ballmer could love.

Apple does need some competition. I hope these competitors focus on some of the Apple shortcomings like the religious adherence to the Cocoa Touch UI. Ideally there would be a more hybrid iOS/MacOS functionality in an iPad such that it could morph up to a more desktop like experience when docked. And conversely, it seems like MacBook Air/ Mac OS X Lion is getting a more iOS like feel. There's a middle ground there that Apple needs to get to. I suspect they will. But as with tethering, and allowing re-duplication of core apps by third parties, it will take Apple a while to let go here and allow the iPad to become that perfect combo.

They still seem to ultimately strike this balance better than any other vendor.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if that accounts for the fact that people access the store with the demos at stores.
When I played with one at BB I acessed the store and dl'd a free app to see it actually in action.

BoredomBoy

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
I think Donald Bell on CNET said it first...

...but people (in general) don't want tablets. They want iPads.

I would compare it to Christmas for me. My mother-in-law asked my wife what I wanted for Christmas. "Video games," was my wife's answer. No, I didn't want video games, I wanted Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and/or Mass Effect 2.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
This can't be right. MR posters have assured me that the Xoom is better than the iPad. I mean, if you can't trust MR posters, whom can you trust?

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Motorola doesn't "get" tablets yet, but the G1 didn't sell well either. Let's look at the market again in two years, I bet it'll look a lot different.

Not if you take any one model against whatever current iPad model.
The same goes for the iPhone vs anyone else.

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I hope that number keeps rising; we need competition to not let Apple rest on it's laurels.

As someone who likes his Apple products, part of me laughs seeing numbers like this for the Xoom, but the other part thinks the same thing you post above--that Apple needs to have a successful competitor in the space to keep Apple's progress from stagnating. More competition will make them take bigger steps more quickly.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

In two years the iPad 4 will be trouncing whatever tablets are trying to top the year-old iPad 3s.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
As someone who likes his Apple products, part of me laughs seeing numbers like this for the Xoom, but the other part thinks the same thing you post above--that Apple needs to have a successful competitor in the space to keep Apple's progress from stagnating. More competition will make them take bigger steps more quickly.

Apple are kicking arse without the competition. Do they need it at this point?

Sgt.Meow

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Under the hood it got all the bell and whistle, but the app market has not enough tablet optimized app to back it up. Some app just crash or won't open. And last time I check, they haven't release an update to allow the use to micro SDHC card yet.

Xoom = DOA, Android = still fragmented

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Apple doesn't need competition the way the PC me-too companies do. Apple has had its eye on the tablet space for over half a decade with no competition to speak of, but they produced a world-class 1.0 version of the iPad anyway. They have a vision of the future and are forging ahead regardless of what the copycats are doing. They are not going to stagnate as long as Steve is around.

Time to drop the tired "I sure like having competition for Apple" cliche. Ths ain't Microsoft were talking about.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I purchased a Xoom over the weekend it's a great device, a little heavy, but very awesome for its first pass. I used to own an iPad 1, gave it away, didn't want an iPad 2. Why do I need two devices of the same OS where the UI was designed for the iPhone (smaller device) to begin with? I love the versatility of honeycomb, widgets are phenomenal on a large tablet screen. Everything is great about the interface so far, although there are a few things here and there which make no sense, but I'm sure they'll fix that. I ran into some bugs, called Moto support, they troubleshooted with me, fixed it and were really cool about it. As far as hardware, the materials are great, but definitely Motorola needs to learn a thing or two about button placement. They put the sleep/wakeup button on the back of the device. I used to like to hit the home button on the iPad to wake it up and do stuff (while I was having a bowl of cereal for example), with the Xoom I can't do that, I HAVE to pick up the device. Another interface/hardware awkwardness are the volume buttons and I cannot find a way to change volume within the device itself, unless I press the volume hardware buttons a window will popup.

Other than that, I can live with all this, and the device is extremely awesome and a fresh feeling of a new UI the way it should be done for a tablet.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Puuuahhhh

That proves one more time to "some" that having a fast car does not really matter if you do not have nice roads to drive it.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Oh yeah, well just wait until people find out iOS is a closed system and the Xoom uses Android which is open....

oh nevermind :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.