Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectroGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
i have a agp gigabit ethernet 400mhz and well, it runs like a pc, a realy sick pc.....
i have tested the ram
i have tested the hard drive
i have tested the board and cpu with the mac test cd and they are fins however

the fault:
it crashes ofthen, after about 15 mins of running, or more usualy wont boot at all! and this is ditressing for me, i bought it because i understand macs dont crash and well, this is the ananim of it. can someone help,

ps if any know is there is a mac users club in hamilton New Zealand i would be most thankful for its details

ElectroGeek

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Bad RAM is the usual culprit. Try swapping for new RAM, or try re-seating them. Reset the PMU by pressing the little black button on the mobo that is next to the battery.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Lacero said:
Reset the PMU by pressing the little black button on the mobo that is next to the battery.

Only press it once or else you can do major damage. Just one press. That's all it takes. Press twice=motherboard crash (open firmware crash in a way I guess)

ONLY PRESS ONCE!

vieoray

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
ONLY PRESS ONCE!

heh, that's funny. apple support once told me to reset the PMU, so i did. then they had me reset it again, and one more time for good measure. it didnt fix the problem i was having (display went bad in an eMac) but once i had the display fixed everything was fine, pressing the PMU button once, twice, or thrice.

(still though you're not supposed to press it but once)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Having physically seen this computer myself I can answer a few questions about it :)

It's running 9.2.2, but reinstalling it didn't help. Tried swapping memory and video card, and I think we tried a different hard drive too. Tried disconnecting the CD drive. I think we narrowed it down to either the CPU, logic board, or power supply. My guess is that the logic board is dead :(

Edit: Attempted to install OS 10.3.5 but I don't recall whether it succeeded.

Edit 2: Moved to hardware forum.

ElectroGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
it goes on

ok i have tested all sujestion with no sucsess, i saw somewhere online the gigabit eithernet modle should have a cooling block on the north bridge, would that do it?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just to clarify the previous post: A couple of years ago I remember reading that the Philips chip on the back of the logic board should be cooled with a heatsink (as stated on the build your own Mac page).

Word of caution: the back of the logic board contains several chips. One of these chips needs cooling and thus it's recommended that a tiny heat sink be mounted on the large "Philips" chip (lower left in the photo). It's clearly marked, and if you happen to pull the logic board out of your own G4 case, you'll see the small aluminum block on the door of the chassis.

There is no aluminium block on the door, but if I recall correctly there is a little heatsink-sized gap there. Should there be a heatsink there?

ElectroGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Should i give up

should i jsut take it in to the shop and see if they can fix it or does someone out there still have an idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.