Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
How does one do it? I recently started the skiTunes project, and I really want to do everything possible to keep it from becoming vaporware/abandonware. I'd just code away until someone joins, but I'm not that good of a coder, and I don't have lots of time...

Any suggestions?

jobutex

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2004
Arlington, TX
Think about putting your project out on Sourceforge, so if someone that is interested in contributing to an open souce project does a search, yours will be available for them to peruse.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I was trying to get your source code, but I can't seem do download it. It seems like you updated it today. Either you are updating it right now, or there was some error. Just letting you know.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
GeeYouEye said:
Interesting project, but why? You can already skin iTunes with various 3rd party utilities.

Main reasons are:
1) iTunes skins are very limiting - for example, it's impossible for an iTunes skin to have a color background - iTunes always makes it grayscale.

2) A lot of themers don't have time/don't want to make iTunes skins, leaving the system look inconsistent. With skiTunes, the only buttons needed to skin are the Play, Pause, rewind, fast forward, and browse buttons - the rest automatically matches the theme's brushed metal look.

That, and although iTunes is good, it's a bit clunky feeling, and it still uses code from Mac OS 9's Soundjam MP. Another thing is a lot of Windows switchers miss being able to play their WMA files - skiTunes will come to the rescue. Also, skiTunes will allow iPod to computer transfers, and for those who need it, multiple iPod management.

lol, there's tons of other things I plan to add, but I won't list them all here cuz I'm lazy :p

Besides, the way I see it, Apple needs a little competition ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.