Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue while running Windows 7 from boot camp: My internal speakers don't work - but all sounds work perfectly if I plug in a pair of headphones. I've read about a lot of cases where Windows 7 still assumes a pair of headphones have been plugged in with other Macs and that 'jiggling' the headphones resolves the issue, but that's not my problem. Windows 7 reports - correctly - that headphones are NOT plugged in, yet still no sound through my speakers.

To make it even more frustrating, my speakers were working for the first few boots into Windows 7, but now I can't get a single sound. I've tried reloading all the latest bootcamp drivers, installing other sound drivers (Realtek and Cirrus) with no results. I don't boot into Win 7 often, but it would be nice to have sound. It's these kind of issues that do NOT make me miss the Win experience. :)

Anyone else with this experience? I can't find anything that reports this problem with other MBAs. I'm running a 13" ultimate, but was curious to see if any other Late 2010 MBA owners were running into the same issue.

Thanks for sharing any similar experiences!

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue while running Windows 7 from boot camp: My internal speakers don't work - but all sounds work perfectly if I plug in a pair of headphones. I've read about a lot of cases where Windows 7 still assumes a pair of headphones have been plugged in with other Macs and that 'jiggling' the headphones resolves the issue, but that's not my problem. Windows 7 reports - correctly - that headphones are NOT plugged in, yet still no sound through my speakers.

To make it even more frustrating, my speakers were working for the first few boots into Windows 7, but now I can't get a single sound. I've tried reloading all the latest bootcamp drivers, installing other sound drivers (Realtek and Cirrus) with no results. I don't boot into Win 7 often, but it would be nice to have sound. It's these kind of issues that do NOT make me miss the Win experience. :)

Anyone else with this experience? I can't find anything that reports this problem with other MBAs. I'm running a 13" ultimate, but was curious to see if any other Late 2010 MBA owners were running into the same issue.

Thanks for sharing any similar experiences!

Just fyi- never had this problem with any of my Windows based desktops/laptops and my Macs with W7 installed. It isn't a common problem with Windows.

That said- make sure you've updated to the latest version of Boot Camp, updated all the software updates available, and enabled the speakers as an output device (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound, then click Sound, then right click Speakers and click enable if it's disabled). Try the Configure option to test sound output in that menu too.

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
Thanks for the response! I know it's a rare issue that virtually all others aren't having. I really wasn't trying to bust on the Win experience - I'm just getting spoiled to the advantages of the hardware and software coming from the same vendor.

It looks like everything is set up correctly on the device side. Boot Camp is all up to date (3.2) and I've been trolling the web for days looking for updated audio drivers. It's driving me crazy!

Are there lots of MBA Late 2010'ers with Win 7 boot camp installs working without any audio issues? Everything else is perfect, but I never realized how much of a pain it is to grab a pair of headphones every time I need audio.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,406

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
That screenie looks the same as my 11" Air with W7 Ultimate SP1, and audio is working fine on here.

Can you go into the Start menu, right click Computer, click Manage, then click Device Manager on the left hand bar. Check whether or not if there's any errors under the Sound menu.

I'll see if I can dig up the driver set I have and upload it somewhere. (assuming the 11" model uses the same audio chip as the 13"...?)

I had a display error on my previous installation (res would not go over 800x600 even after installing the Boot Camp drivers) and removing/reinstalling the drivers did nothing to solve the issue. I had to reinstall Windows- I would suggest not installing anything just yet because you might have to go through the pains of reinstalling ;)

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
That's what I was afraid of... :( Everything's good as far as Win reports. Device Manager is clearn. I'm sure the 11 and the 13 have same audio drivers - just can't figure out why it worked for the first few reboots, but discovered the problem after all updates and service packs were installed.

For the reinstall process, should I kill the current Win partition and really start from scratch? Or just reinstall from the 'advanced recovery method' menu?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 524

MicahAvant

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
Speaker issues with Windows 7 (Boot Camp)

Searching the forum I found this thread and also having the same issue but with iMac. Obviously not a hardware issue. Device Manager recognizes audio devices with correct drivers as yours. Any help from those who are having a problem (and found a resolution) would be grateful.

Best regards
Micah

caff

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
I'm having the EXACT same problem. Late 2010 MBP, no audio at all in Win 7 under Boot Camp. It has the driver installed properly, and have also tried/failed with the alternative driver set (Realtek). When playing sample songs, it shows the volume meter going up and down with the music, but no sounds are output through the speakers.

Just wanted to throw my experience out there to let you know this is definitely an issue others are experiencing as well.

Deepak koirala

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
bull ****

I have tried all the measures available...It do not work for me
If external headphones do work then why internal speakers only have the problem. If this is due to apple support, then there will be decrease in apple users in future...

Any way, if some one have sound solution please notify....
It is quite burdensome to carry extra speakers.

It will be help full if some one can suggest how can i use mic. (external or internal)

Please help me!!!

Watzmynizurz

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Win 7 no sound

Yeah I've had the same problem with my imac. At first I thought the onboard speakers were just busted. But then I booted OS X and they worked fine, If anyone finds a solution please please post it.:confused: I also noticed the headphone jack lights up red?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I installed Windows 7 on my 2010 MBP yesterday and while sound plays fine through the internal speakers, when I plug in my computer speakers, sound keeps playing through the internal like I'd never plugged anything in.

Any ideas? :(

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Try installing the latest Realtek HD Audio Codec drivers.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

There's a quick link on their front page.

I recommend using the "Have Disk" method if you can; the .exe installer method requires you to reboot twice to update the drivers.

Onkell

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
I have the same error, on device manager all looks fine, but there is no sound on the internal speakers. My iPhone headset works.

I installed the latest Realtek HD Audio Codec drivers but the same result.

@dashr
could you please tell me which file your mean ok Realtek site?

Any other ideas?

dashr

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
SF
@dashr
could you please tell me which file your mean ok Realtek site?

The link I gave should open to a page titled "High Definition Audio Codecs"

I used the " HD Audio Codec Driver" under "Quick Links" in bottom right. You get a 64 bit / 32 bit choice..

"64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8 Driver only (Executable file)"

Note: Have to click "I accept..." box.

Good Luck!`

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.