Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/594331p1.html?fromint=1

From the article:
CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

This chip could be the dual/triple core G5 we've been waiting for. If this article is true, the chip is already sampling, which means it will probably be released this year.

Sounds good to me!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
vashim66 said:
http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/594331p1.html?fromint=1

From the article:
CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

This chip could be the dual/triple core G5 we've been waiting for. If this article is true, the chip is already sampling, which means it will probably be released this year.

Sounds good to me!
3.0Ghz seems on track for the G5s, but 3 cores, this is a first. It would be a nice surpise, just like the original G5's were.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
at least we know there is a dual - the article said they only had duals for sampling. Maybe they are trying to get 3 or 4 cores on a chip...WWDC - perhaps a surprise is in order...still seems strange to have the Apple flagship machine using the same 'guts' as an xbox from M$....

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
I think people will get bitter when apple is charging $2k-3k for similar hardware as a $300 console.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
vashim66 said:
I think people will get bitter when apple is charging $2k-3k for similar hardware as a $300 console.

Microsoft sells Xbox consoles at a loss, and aims to make the money back by selling games. That alone makes the comparison difficult (ignoring the large list of differences between a PowerMac G5 and an Xbox2 apart from the CPU and GPU). One benefit of the Xbox2 that will (hopefully) trickle through to Apple customers are the economies of scale that will result from having a fast 64-bit PowerPC type CPU mass produced for a popular piece of consumer electronics.

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
vashim66 said:
In this thread (post 27 by GFLPraxis) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/114366/ it is stated that it's not a G5 since it only does 2 instruction per clock cycle. Also the chip is not sampling. A macrumor news item a couple of months ago claimed the alpha development kits are PowerMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.