Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cris623

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Hey everyone!

Alright so my phone has been pretty glitchy lately. Recently it started shutting down at about 40% charge remaining. It's weird too because normally when it shuts down because of low battery it'll go to the screen with the spinning circle for about 10 seconds, if you know what I mean? But now it'll just suddenly turn off. And when you try to turn it back on I get the battery bar with a little red at the end and the message to connect to power source. As soon as I connect it to power it starts turning back on. Once it's on it says it's charging and there's 40% battery remaining. I tried restoring it, didn't do anything.

Does anyone just think this is a calibration issue? Or is it my battery failing?

Thanks in advance!

Stevecole78

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
I had the same issue, it'll get worse and start dying at 60% like mine did. I believe it's a battery issue and other than replacing the battery or getting a new phone I think your stumped. Replacing the battery is delicate and I wouldn't suggest attempting it yourself....

cris623

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks, yeah that's the only thing that makes sense. I recalibrated it and it went down to 0% once and then it died at 40 again last night. But what I actually noticed is this morning is that I've had it unplugged and have been using it for probably 2 and a half hours and it's still at 100% and in usage in settings it shows there's been no usage since last full charge. So it might be a glitch in the new update??

Orchidkid

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Mine did the same thing. It would stay at 100 percent almost all day and die at 46%. You plug it in and it starts charging at 46%. The question you have to ask is if your battery is still lasting as long as it did before. If it is then its a calibration issue. I tried a phone restore and an itunes restore and both didnt work.

I ended up letting the phone sit after it died for about 6 hours before recharging and it fixed the problem.

Hopefully it will work for you.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I think your battery is toast. It really isn't that bad to replace your self but takes a lot of patience and the right tools. Lots of places will change it for you too. If under warranty/applecare do that by all means!

cris623

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Orchidkid, sounds like you had the exact same problem I did. I already calibrated it once and it was better for a couple days. It still is lasting the same amount of time, so I'm going to try calibrating it again.

If that doesn't work, my battery probably is toast, I'm not under warranty anymore, but to replace the battery its about 100 dollars from apple so we'll see!!

Thanks so much for all your replies!

BigBearAZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
phx, az
Sorry to resurect this post but to the OP did you ever end up changing your battery? Did that solve the problem? I'm having the same issueon my 3GS. I'd like to hold off on upgrading at the moment as the phone works perfect except for the battery. I've been looking online at kits to replace it myself but wouldn't mind paying someone a little more who knows what they are doing.

cris623

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Hi, BigbearAZ
I didn't end up replacing the battery as I still got the same battery life out of it, the battery meter was just off. It's more of a inconvenience than anything. Somedays the battery meter works, yesterday it worked just fine and died at 3% today it looks like it's going to be stuck at 100 for a few hours. Right now I'm just going to hold off for the 5G or until my battery won't last an entire day, whichever comes first.

Try syncing your phone with a computer. That seems to sort mine out for a couple days. Also check for iTunes and software updates. As for replacing the battery yourself, I have no experience with that. I personally was just going to take it to an apple store. It's 80$ but in the end I atleast know it's done properly and it also has a warranty.

BigBearAZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
phx, az
Cool, thanks for the response. I've looked at a few videos online about doing the replacement and I think it's a little more than i'm willing to take on. If the apple store can do it for $80 I think I may just do it.

smatt

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Restoring a "memory effect" iPhone battery

Eventually over time iPhones can start to die when they are still showing 20%, 30% or even more
The problem is that the iPhone battery, like many batteries will develope a "memory effect".

There are currently no apps that recover this, no software reset will fix it, nor will an OS update.

The only alternative options are to fully discharge the battery or replace it.

If you want to try fully discharging (before replacing ) which is by far the cheapest option then follow this proceedure.

1. Let it run down until the iphone dies
2. Plug in the charger, boot it back up,
3. turn off the auto-lock so the screen stays lit,
4. set brightness to mid way,
5. disconnect the charger and let it die again.
6. Re-insert the charger, re-boot,
7. remove charger and let it dies again.
8. Keep doing 6 and 7 until you eventually get the battery down to 5% or less.

This might need to be done 10- 30 times and might take 2-5 hours.

9. When you are done fully charge the iphone, overnight will do.

Next time you run low on battery power it will go right down without dying so early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.