Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bethan44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
I'm hopefully going to be a mac newbie within the next week or two. I'm wondering if my ideas about setting a new mac laptop to a PC wireless network are completely wrong. I'm sorry in advance if I go into too much detail.

I was raised on desktop PCs because of my dad. I've always wanted my first laptop to be an Apple, and now's the right time for me to buy one. In our household, we have two desktop PCs. The primary computer is in the den, connected with the Belkin 802.11g wireless router hardware. The secondary computer is in my bedroom. I didn't have much of a problem installing the router hardware and software to the primary computer, and I had even less of a problem installing the the wireless card and software to the one in my bedroom.

I think that I want a 12" powerbook with superdrive, which I believe has the airport extreme card installed. From what I've read on Apple's website and what a co-worker told me, I should have no problem getting an internet connection on the laptop through the wireless network we already have set up in the house, as long as I buy the Airport Extreme base station, too. How easy is this to do? Should it be easier than what I did to connect the two PCs?

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
As long as you have an existing wireless network, you can just turn on the PowerBook and it will connect to the network. If it is an encrypted network, you will need to type in the key or password. You don't need to buy an AirPort base station and if you are getting a new PowerBook, it will have the AirPort card built in.

Macs are the easiest computers to network and I'm sure you will agree. Good luck and enjoy your new laptop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.