Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I have a 2010 iMac and all the latest versions of iTunes (10.2.2), OS X (10.6.7) and I'm trying to pull something off that I shouldn't get this much push-back for: I'm trying to update iOS 4.3.2 to 4.3.3. There is no jailbreak involved (I wish there were :eek:), I haven't just installed 50 new apps, run out of memory or anything else crazy. I just got this thing a few days ago. It was an exchange for another one that had the screen tinting issue.

The error message that iTunes reported was something to the effect of "This iPad is not eligible for the version of iOS that I am trying to get on it." Really? Apple's getting stricter and stricter with its iOS stuff, huh?

Here's a list of things I've done so far and more info that may be interesting or necessary to know:

I restarted my iMac (per iTunes Support site) I had NOTHING running, except for iTunes and the processes and start-up items that always do.

I obliterated it, i.e. in Settings, I clicked "Erase all items and settings", which wiped it clean and successfully returned it back to factory conditions. No dice.

I tried using the restore button (instead of Update) in iTunes. Nothing.
I tried holding down the Option key and manually selected the 4.3.3 IPWS. Same difference.

I went so far as trying to unplug my 30-pin connector cable from my dock (the iPad 2-specific one) and manually inserted it into the iPad 2. Yep, another FAIL. Talk about desperate, huh?

That's all I can think of right now. I actually have a hunch as to what may be the cause, but it should still work either way: My iPad 2 came loaded with iOS 4.3.1, as opposed to 4.3.2. iOS 4.3.3 had just come out the day after I got it, but Apple was still signing 4.3.2 IPSW's, so I decided to opt for an update to 4.3.2 and everything worked JUST FINE! I know, I know, but please don't ask me why I didn't just upgrade to 4.3.3. It won't help and it is what it is now. lol

The iPad 2 works just fine but I'm not going to use it like I want to, as I'd like to get the iOS update out of the way first.

One last disclosure: I had an iPad 1, I have an iPhone 4 (and had a 3GS) and I am intimately familiar with jailbreaking on both OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and I'd like to consider myself pretty computer literate. Just FYI.

I can't wait to see what you all think of this. Thanks very much in advance! :)

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I got that same message when updating my iPad, but I made a really obvious stupid mistake, I am sure this is not your problem.
I had updated my father's iPad right before mine and I was still logged into his account on my iMac. At least I think that is what happened. Anyway after getting that message and panicking, because I am not real computer literate with the iPads. I logged out on iPads and iMac, shut down both iPads and iMac and then logged back in with my account and everything went fine.

TriHFH

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
I'm getting the same exact error right now with my 1st generation iPad 3G. Maybe it's an issue with Apple's servers? I tried saving my SHSH through TinyUmbrella, and found this:

CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPad3G 4.3.3 (8J2) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

Which makes it seem like there is an issue on Apple's end, since they obviously should be signing 4.3.3 SHSH blobs..

falconfour4

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
I am getting the same on three devices that i am trying to update (2 iphones and 1 ipad).
I think it must be at apples end, the error comes up after the verifying update notification. Perhaps they are preparing to switch over to the new data centre ?

TriHFH

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe your host file has changed and not pointing to apple.

Yep, you're correct. I just found this problem myself and was about to post here to try to help others out. But you beat me to it :p.

For others who are having this problem (and who also have TinyUmbrella installed), make sure you open up TinyUmbrella and uncheck the "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" box in the "Advanced" tab, then click Apply.

This worked for me, as I'm restoring to 4.3.3 in iTunes now.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Maybe your host file has changed and not pointing to apple.

Yep, you're correct. I just found this problem myself and was about to post here to try to help others out. But you beat me to it :p.

For others who are having this problem (and who also have TinyUmbrella installed), make sure you open up TinyUmbrella and uncheck the "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" box in the "Advanced" tab, then click Apply.

This worked for me, as I'm restoring to 4.3.3 in iTunes now.

Thank you, guys! That's exactly what it was. My next step was going to be launching my first copy (mirror copy) of my system partition and because I hadn't messed with Tiny Umbrella yet on that copy, the update would have worked.

However, I would not have understood as to WHY and that's always important to me as an IT guy. I had never even considered what ended up being an obvious thing to check for jailbreakers and I'm once again annoyed at my own lack of attention to detail, but you two knew exactly what the issue was, so thanks again! ;)

This may well be a problem for others in light of the fact that Cydia has not been doing well with saving everyone's SHSH blobs these days, which is still a very recent occurrence, so hopefully others who end up in a similar situation will find this thread and be able to adjust what needs adjusting on their own machines and be OK.

Thanks again!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I like to always have the latest update myself but 4.3.3 doesn't have anything except for the "moon landing was fake" crowd. So why not just take it or leave it until a REAL update happens?

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I like to always have the latest update myself but 4.3.3 doesn't have anything except for the "moon landing was fake" crowd. So why not just take it or leave it until a REAL update happens?

That's not the point and besides that, there are probably a lot of people who would disagree with your assertion that 4.3.3 is not a "real" or important update. 4.3.3 does away with a file on iTunes which stored (or still stores if you're on 4.3.2 or earlier) a file with plenty of location information about you. Besides no longer storing the file on iTunes at all, it also shrinks the amount of information as to your whereabouts on your iDevice and unlike was the case before, it now allows you to delete it on your device as well by turning off Location Services in your Settings.

Additionally, waiting for a "real" update would not have solved the issue. It would only have postponed the inevitable, so the nature of the problem would still have been present, i.e. the hosts file pointing in "the right direction". ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.