Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

foxconn_banner.jpg

All Things Digital has obtained a statement from Apple on the explosion at manufacturing partner Foxconn's facilities in Chengdu, China where the iPad 2 is manufactured. In the statement, Apple expresses sympathy to those affected by the event and notes that it is working with Foxconn to address the cause of the explosion.
"We are deeply saddened by the tragedy at Foxconn's plant in Chengdu, and our hearts go out to the victims and their families," Apple said in a statement provided to AllThingsD. "We are working closely with Foxconn to understand what caused this terrible event."

Apple declined to say what the impact to production might be, or comment beyond the statement.
Authorities in Chengdu have confirmed that two people were killed in the blast, with at least sixteen other injured. According to reports, Foxconn chairman Terry Gou is flying to Chengdu today, presumably to personally view the damage and oversee the company's efforts to determine the cause and aid those affected by the blast.

Article Link: Apple Issues Statement on Foxconn Factory Explosion, Investigation in Progress

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Sorry to be a bit pedantic here but:

"and notes that it is working with Foxconn to address the cause of the explosion."

makes it sound like they know what the cause is and they're working to do something about it. The quote by Apple is more clear:

"We are working closely with Foxconn to understand what caused this terrible event."

A very unfortunate event indeed, esp given the history of the company.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Is Foxconn the only company manufacturing the iPads?...or do they do 90% of the production? Anyone have any knowledge?

Of course lives are more important than products...however...would be interesting to understand POSSIBLY how this will affect the iPad's availability.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Yes, our hearts go out to those and their families who have been impacted by this cowardly act. Unfortunately, there are those who want to tear down successful free market capitalism.

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
I'm glad to hear Apple's response to this tragic event. As unfortunate as this is, there are those who will be more concerned with Apple's production numbers, specifically, stockholders and fanboi's. :rolleyes:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hope they can make some safety improvement.

But considering Foxconn employees over 1 million people, this kind of accident rate is actually quite low in terms of statistics.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Apple says the same thing all the time.. We are deeply saddened... bla bla. As for this Terry Gou, and Apple, they probably don't care. These chinese workers are treated like slaves.... well they do care... about the money.

Its sad to lose a loved one. And I feel sorry for these injured people, and the families that lost a member today.

But I doubt Apple or Terry care. They care about MONEY!

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Sunshine Superman

I like the token honkey....is he just a huge Twilight fan or does the sun never shine in China?

Dude. Remember film? As in used to take pictures with a camera on film?

Well it is said, you could develop film in China just by unrolling the film canister and waving it out the window. In short, no, not much sunshine in China.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I bet it's the same Chinese mafia who's been sending people to all the Apple stores to snatch up all the iPads to sell in the gray market.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
They were clearly making the new iBomb and they were testing it. Apple will sell it to the US Military. Here is a screenshot for it.
ibomb.png

(Black at first. White eight months later.)

But seriously now. It is sad that this happened, but I don't see why Apple even commented about this. They are just a customer. It would be like if a cashier got shot at my local Wal-Mart and people got upset I didn't say anything because I shop there everyday.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
It is sad that this happened, but I don't see why Apple even commented about this. They are just a customer. It would be like if a cashier got shot at my local Wal-Mart and people got upset I didn't say anything because I shop there everyday.

Foxconn is a supplier and the disruption could materially affect Apple's bottom line, so they have a duty to inform shareholders.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Foxconn is a supplier and the disruption could materially affect Apple's bottom line, so they have a duty to inform shareholders.

Hmm... I see now. So Apple probably told this statement to their stockholders and of course they all went on the internet and posted what Apple said? I see now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.