Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
I am trying to figure out what is the best/easiest way to reinstall Mac OS on my iBook. The optical drive has been broken for years now, and it was never an issue until now.

I have tried using remote install but I don't think it works between different versions of OS X(iBook requires 10.4 and my MacBook has 10.6).

I have also tried installing via usb, but I can't get the computer to recognize the image. Is there something special I need to do to the usb drive to get the computer to recognize the OS installation disc image?

Or is there some better way to go about this? I am considering taking it to the Apple store, since it is only a 10 minute drive, and seeing what they have to say about my almost 8 year old mac, they may still have a 10.4 image they can copy for me, but it's overly likely.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
1) Remote Install won't work as it wasn't a feature of Mac OS X before the MacBook Airs came out with 10.5
2) I would be most tempted to buy a new optical drive and replace it - iFixit etc generally have good guides on the tools and parts youll need and step-by-step instructions on how to do it
If that is too complex however...
3) I would try and find another similar era Mac, borrow it, and hook it up the the iBook using FireWire (6 to 6 pin), put the iBook in FireWire Target Disk mode, and install Mac OS X to the iBooks HD using the borrowed computer.

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
1) Remote Install won't work as it wasn't a feature of Mac OS X before the MacBook Airs came out with 10.5
2) I would be most tempted to buy a new optical drive and replace it - iFixit etc generally have good guides on the tools and parts youll need and step-by-step instructions on how to do it
If that is too complex however...
3) I would try and find another similar era Mac, borrow it, and hook it up the the iBook using FireWire (6 to 6 pin), put the iBook in FireWire Target Disk mode, and install Mac OS X to the iBooks HD using the borrowed computer.

I tried switching the optical drive with one from a similar iBook that had a janky logic board, but it still didn't work, I think there is an issue with my board or the connector or something.

Gahh, I forgot all about Target Disk since my main computer is one of the few mac models from history that DOESN'T have firewire. That should work wonderfully, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.