Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b-ry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
don't know if this is the right place to post this please move if it is? when i run the sudo dd command in terminal to change a ubuntu.iso into an img so i can boot it from a flash drive it gives me a permission denied

here's the command

brian-andersens-MacBook-Pro:~ brianandersen$ sudo dd if=/Users/brianandersen/Desktop/untitled.img.dmg of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m

here's the result
dd: /dev/rdisk2: Permission denied

im using the right password i've checked it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why not copy the contents of the mounted .iso to the USB flash memory thumb drive via Finder and then try to boot from that? How do you want to install Ubuntu? As a VM or as a native OS like Windows via Boot Camp?

b-ry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
Is virtual machine is the same as a multi boot? Thats what i'm trying to do. I've tried that but it won't find it when i alt boot. So i looked on the ubuntu website and thats what it says to do if you want to install from a flashdrive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
A VM is not the same as a dual- or multi-boot configuration.
Maybe this can explain it:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac

Btw, what format does the USB flash memory thumb drive use?
Have you checked Finder > select USB flash memory thumb drive >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
MR_SS_2011_04_GET-INFO_format_permissions.png

b-ry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
oic im going to use bootcamp based on the speed difference vm has. Yeah it's formatted mac os extended journaled(extended) and everythings read/write except everyone which is read only

Nov 28, 2010
located
oic im going to use bootcamp based on the speed difference vm has. Yeah it's formatted mac os extended journaled(extended) and everythings read/write except everyone which is read only

Maybe change "everyone" to "Read & Write" and try the Terminal command again.

b-ry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
lol i got it to work. I was using disk 2 but i formatted my disk earlier and that changed it to disk 1 all i had to do was change that. sry bro thanx for the help and at least i know the difference between vm and bootcamp now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.