Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6gSbipEFw

Hey Folks,

I bought the cardinal case for iPad 2. It's a booksyle case.

According to the website, the wood frame is American Black Walnut, with a rich cappuccino finish. The outside of the cover is traditional book fabric (Morocco grain faux leather) and is available in Cardinal, Black, and White. The inside of the cover is book cloth and available a several different colors.

The fit: The iPad held in place by magnets on it's left side (smart case style). On the right side, the wooden lip grips the edge of the ipad holding it in place. I'll say right away that the magnets aren't that stong and in a shake test, the iPad came right out.***EDIT*** The magnets are about as stong as the magnets in the smart cover. Smart covers aren't meant to pass a shake test and maybe this case wasn't either.

Size and Weight: The case feels really light in hand. It didn't feel bulky and was actually smaller than I thought it would be. It's smaller than a Pad & Quill Octavo and larger than a Switcheasy Canvas. It didn't make the iPad feel cumbersome. I didn't add weight and bulk which you would expect from a case like this, but not overly so.

Height: 10 inches (254 mm)
Width: 8 inches (203.2 mm)
Depth: 0.5625 inches (14.287 mm)
Weight: 10 ounces (283.5 g)

Using it as a stand:
Lifting the iPad on the left side and attaching it magnets in the cover, the case can be used as a stand. The stand is sturdy and easy to set up. Great for a lap, desk, or other surface. I was able to set up the stand and use my foldable keyboard on my lap with no problem. I've got long legs, mind, but you get the point.

Craftsmanship: The case seems reasonably well made. The wood is sanded smoothly, the fabric inside and outside seems of good quality. No issues on construction.

Protection: There is nothing to protect the bottom and top of the iPad (port side and headphone jack side). See photos.

Accessiblity: The volume rocker & mute/lock rotation buttons are easy to access. So is the 30 pin port.

My thoughts. I'll be returning this case because the magnets are not strong enough to keep the iPad in place. I did a shake test in the video and the iPad came right out. Also the magnet in the cover doesn't close the case tightly enough. I could easy see this case cover getting loser over time in a bookbag, messenger, or purse.

It was a good effort by the folks at cardinalcase.com, but I'll stick with my other cases.

Attachments

• bottom port.JPG
    bottom port.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 230
  • top headphone.JPG
    top headphone.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 154
  • closed back.JPG
    closed back.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 169
  • volume rocker.JPG
    volume rocker.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 160
  • ipad in and open.JPG
    ipad in and open.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by a moderator:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Thanks for the very thorough review and heads up on the issues you encountered with it.

I hope when you return it you give the company some feedback so they can fix the problems with their design.

pbateman.as

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Took delivery of mine today and it is going back as well. It's well made and good quality, but a little cumbersome to put the iPad in the viewing positions. Since I primarily use the iPad on the train going to and from work, this is a deal breaker for me.

william615

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
What do you think?

Thanks so much for the review

CardinalCase is trying to act like it doesn't fallout in a new video they uploaded, but it sure looks like they are holding it in with there naughty fingers.

What do you think?

http://youtu.be/N5mgaoXFnVw

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
The video with the black cover definitely looks like they're holding it in. There's a video with a red cover where they attempt to show that their fingers aren't in the way. Either way I couldn't get mine to stay I. After several attempts.

Paik4Life

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the review. Never heard of these guys before I saw this post.

I think the ideas that they've implemented in the case design are really clever. Much more clever than any of the other book style cases out there. They innovatively use the left side magnets to TRY and hold the iPad in the case. Possibly some repositioning of the magnets or stronger magnets will solve this issue in the future.

I REALLY dig the way they use the cover magnets with the left side to get the iPad in numerous landscape viewing angles with the notches at the bottom. That's just plain awesome and no one else out there has done something like this as far as I've seen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cardinal Case becomes really popular after some modifications to their design. I'm almost tempted to buy one just to try it.

The only downside I can see is that the bookbinding skills seem to be inferior to the others out there. I'd like to see more hi-res photos of the case. They need a gallery on the site with bigger pictures, the ones they have just aren't sufficient.

~Paik

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.