Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
I'm looking at developing some relatively complex iOS apps over the coming months. Currently, I've got 3 very basic iOS apps on the app store, built from help from books and forums where-ever I became stuck.

I have previously been using Objective-C for dummies (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Objective-C...2755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306408406&sr=8-1), though I am finding it difficult to learn. I don't really know C or C++, so need a book that starts right from the start.

Has anyone got a book they would advise I read? Thanks in advance

Sam

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
Thanks for your replies. One of the problems I have is a lot of these books start by teaching you how to use the SDK (which I know very well) but don't teach programming of C from scratch. Do the books that you have recommended do this?

Sam

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hi
Thanks for your replies. One of the problems I have is a lot of these books start by teaching you how to use the SDK (which I know very well) but don't teach programming of C from scratch. Do the books that you have recommended do this?

Sam

I believe the Learn C on the Mac starts you off in the terminal (I'll double check and get back to you), not in an SDK. It will definitely start you off learning C from scratch. It gave me a headache the first couple of times I read it because i had zero programming experience.

EDIT: Sorry I was mistaken. Chapter 2 of the Learn C on the Mac talks about downloading and installing Xcode, but it doesn't go into any great detail about how to use it. Chapter 3 starts you off on your C journey.

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you want to learn to develop more advanced apps, you will need to learn far more than basic C and Obj C. Go to a local college bookstore and look at the computer science and software engineering textbooks on slightly more advanced programming topics, such as algorithms, data structures, databases, computer graphics, networking, machine learning, signal processing, discrete mathematics, UI design, game architecture, etc., which are all applicable to some types of advanced iOS app development. It's a big enough subject that many people spend years studying for masters degrees in the area. Don't think you will get that far with just one book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.