Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

iPad dead after installing IOS5

Installation went fine, things seemed to be working, left the iPad connected overnight to my MacPro and this morning the iPad won't wake up, no signs of life whatsoever.

I have tried:
- Holding wake/sleep button > 10 secs.
- Holding wake/sleep & Home buttons> 10 secs.
- Plugging to USB, plugging to charger directly. Nada.
- Did the stuff in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Next, I guess, is the Genius at the Apple store. I'm guessing this is a fluke or coincidence as I haven't seen anyone else reporting this same issue but there's always the first one.

Last edited by HitchHykr; Jun 9, 2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Changed status
HitchHykr is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:35 AM   #2
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchHykr View Post
Next, I guess, is the Genius at the Apple store.
I'm pretty sure the Genius will not help you troubleshoot beta software.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
REM314
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
I'm pretty sure the Genius will not help you troubleshoot beta software.
I agree. I'm not confident that the genius' would be well versed in the latest developer beta. They would probably just recommend a restore back to 4.3
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Brandrune
macrumors member

Agreed, Genius staff will only be trained in current software. I experienced the same issue as you and it was due to mail. I held both hard keys down for 25 seconds and it came back up. You need to remove the banner notification for Mail.
Brandrune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:25 PM   #5
whatdoiknw
macrumors member

i know this might come across as rude but if you installed iOS5 beta, which is only available to developers, then you must be a developer.

so you should probably ask in the apple's developer section?

if you're not a developer...then you should have known better to not install a beta if you're not qualified to handle the problems it can cause.
whatdoiknw is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:52 PM   #6
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
It could have drained the battery when you had it hooked up on your Mac, this happened to me before so just plug it in with the wall charger for about an hour or more and see if it comes back.

If not take it to the Apple store and don't tell them about you putting on iOS 5 because if it's dead then they can't see that anyway.

Good Luck!
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknw View Post
i know this might come across as rude but if you installed iOS5 beta, which is only available to developers, then you must be a developer.

if you're not a developer...then you should have known better to not install a beta if you're not qualified to handle the problems it can cause.
Amen. I predicted in a previous thread that there would be a whole slew of new threads from non-devs who bricked their iPads after installing iOS5.

Sure enough, within an hour of me posting that message, I received a private message from an MR member, titled, "HELP!" because he had bricked his iPad!

LOL...I'm no dev and KNOW to leave the Beta tests to the devs...Why can't people just WAIT???
Built is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:03 PM   #8
RollTide1017
macrumors regular

Quote:
Seriously? Just because someone pays the $99 fee to become a dev doesn't mean they are now qualified to trouble shoot every hardware issue that may happen? The dev tools these days are so good that you can build basic apps with very little knowledge or understanding how everything truly works. I know MS's WP7 dev tools are so easy that you can build a very stable and functional app by dragging and dropping everything into place, no coding knowledge needed. Just because someone is a dev doesn't make them an IT genius.
RollTide1017 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:37 PM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM314 View Post
I agree. I'm not confident that the genius' would be well versed in the latest developer beta. They would probably just recommend a restore back to 4.3
I'm sure that somewhere in the developer agreement that you agreed to it says that if you install beta software you are own your own and Apple takes no responsibility whatsoever, and it also said that you are under NDA and not to talk about any of your experiences. On the other hand, if you didn't agree to this, then you installed pirated software. Tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM314 View Post
Only if that genius also happens to have an iPhone developer account. In which case I'm confident that he or she won't help either.
gnasher729 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:43 PM   #10
err404
macrumors 68000

Still, according to OP the device appears to be completely unresponsive. The OS version is irrelevant if the genius can't get it to show ANY signs of life.

While I wouldn't lie about installing iOS5, it may be prudent to omit that fact unless asked directly. Present the issue as the device simply being dead.

Last edited by err404; Jun 8, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
err404 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:51 PM   #11
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Try DFU while plugged into the wall charger.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:15 AM   #12
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

I apologize for not responding sooner but I was busy and away from my computer most of the day.

For all of you assuming that I'm not a developer and somehow obtained the beta illegally or that "why can't I just wait", I'm a developer and have been for almost two years. I'm not expecting the genius to fix or debug the beta software but I wasn't expecting it to brick my iPad either. And frankly he/she may be a Genius but I don't think he/she will be able to tell the OS from a black screen. Like I said on my original post, it may have been a coincidence that I had installed IOS5.

Also, I'm posting it here sort of as a warning to others to be careful and to see if anyone else has had this same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
Try DFU while plugged into the wall charger.
Tried that. There's ZERO response no matter what. Left it overnight charging directly from the wall charger and is still nothing. The thing is just dead.

Quote:

I am a developer. I wouldn't expect beta software to brick a device, specially a beta released to customers (and yes, as a developer I'm an Apple customer).

Now if the OS was a developer or an alpha version then sure, all bets are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
Still, according to OP the device appears to be completely unresponsive. The OS version is irrelevant if the genius can't get it to show ANY signs of life.

While I wouldn't lie about installing iOS5, it may be prudent to omit that fact unless asked directly. Present the issue as the device simply being dead.
Thank you. That is what I was thinking. I'm not going to lie to them about installing iOS5 but hopefully it won't be the first thing that comes out of my mouth either.

Last edited by dejo; Jun 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts. Please use multi-quote.
HitchHykr is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad