Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
If I get an email and it has a web address if I click on it it opens Explorer. I wnt Firefox to be my browser?

Also how do I Uninstall programs? In os9 I knew where all the 'bits" would be and just chucked them away. with OSX ther seems to be more files dotted around. So if no uninstall where will the 'bits' be? I'd look in my extensions folder in os9.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
OK, firstly, to uninstall something just drag the app to the trash in most cases. Unfortunately, your right in that there are some apps that leave a mess in other folders so maybe a search for the app's name in the finder will help. Generally though, dragging to the trash is fine save for most Microsoft and Mozilla products.

Now, the second bit. Safari preferences will let you change the default browser assuming you actually have Safari. The fact everything is opening in Explorer makes me think you're not running Panther so unfortunately, having had no experience with anything pre-10.3 I can't really be all that helpful other than to maybe deleting Explorer, opening the attachments, letting OSX ask you what to use (read - Firefox) and then reinstalling Explorer from the Microsoft website (assuming you want to keep it). This is a pretty messy way of going about what is a relatively simple problem so hopefully someone who has actually used any of the early OSXs will give you a better option.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
chv400 said:
Just wondering how do you import bookmarks from safari into Firefox?
Duff-Man says...the easiest way is to go to VersionTracker and download a utility called "Safari Bookmark Exporter" - it'll do the trick and even put the exported file into your Firefox profile....oh yeah!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...the easiest way is to go to VersionTracker and download a utility called "Safari Bookmark Exporter" - it'll do the trick and even put the exported file into your Firefox profile....oh yeah!

Or you can enable the Safari Debug menu, and then export or import bookmarks and do many other things. Google for how to do it. It is possibly the best thing that you can do for Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.