Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
wHey all,

I was wondering, is OS X Lion server worth getting in my case. I've never run a server version of any OS before so I'm a bit hazy on the real benefits.

My current home IT setup is this:

A couple of Windows 7 boxes for gaming
My iMac (the main machine of the house, a mid 2010 i3)
A couple of Core Duo Macbooks.
AppleTV
An iPad and a couple of iPhones.

Is there anything I'd be able to do using server on the iMac, and by the reverse, anything I'd be stopping myself doing. Now obviously Lion's a bit NDA at the minute so let's assume I was talking snow leopard, just for arguments sake :) Pros and cons?

Mactasia

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
UK
I'm not sure what you could achieve by running a server version at home. Maybe iCal/Mail/address book etc if you didn't want to pay for MobileMe? - but then iCloud will have all of these for free anyway... :)

Maybe the only thing it would be useful for at home for would be as a file store accessible from all of your machines? And as a backup location?

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
I'm not sure what you could achieve by running a server version at home. Maybe iCal/Mail/address book etc if you didn't want to pay for MobileMe? - but then iCloud will have all of these for free anyway... :)

Maybe the only thing it would be useful for at home for would be as a file store accessible from all of your machines? And as a backup location?

Perfect answer. Thank you. Standard for me it is. Never run server side software before so figured it was worth asking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.