Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2011
I have heard Apple does and I have heard Apple doesn't cover cracked screens under the 1 yr warranty.

Heres the story:

The one time I don t have a case on my ipod, i drop it on a city sidewalk and now my ipod has a significant crack toward the bottom on the screen.
I got it at Best Buy back in Dec. 2010 without their coverage.

So before I drive an hour to the Apple Store, will they replace/repair it under warranty, or its it coming out of my pocket?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have heard Apple does and I have heard Apple doesn't cover cracked screens under the 1 yr warranty.

Heres the story:

The one time I don t have a case on my ipod, i drop it on a city sidewalk and now my ipod has a significant crack toward the bottom on the screen.
I got it at Best Buy back in Dec. 2010 without their coverage.

So before I drive an hour to the Apple Store, will they replace/repair it under warranty, or its it coming out of my pocket?

Its coming out of pocket, warranty is for manufacture defects and problems. Not accidents. You might get a nice genius that will swap it out for you but otherwise it will cost you. Depending on your model you can check Apple support online for out of warranty replacement charges.

Here is the pricing list: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/#us
It will cost you anywhere from $99-$199 depending on model.

Last edited:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
As Mlrollin said, a warranty coves Apple's wrong doing (in manufacturing), not yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.