Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Hi there

I'm starting to get really excited about Tiger now. At first it seemed so pointless in upgrading but I’ve been reading up on the features and it looks like its going to be fantastic!

I'm a little worried about HD space though. I've got an 80Gb drive in my powerbook, and I have just over 2gbs left ( ahh! :confused: )
After recently reinstalling panther, i customised the install and had it down to 2gbs or there abouts, I can't quite remember. Will Tiger be much more than this?

Thanks

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
EGT said:
Hi there

I'm starting to get really excited about Tiger now. At first it seemed so pointless in upgrading but I’ve been reading up on the features and it looks like its going to be fantastic!

I'm a little worried about HD space though. I've got an 80Gb drive in my powerbook, and I have just over 2gbs left ( ahh! :confused: )
After recently reinstalling panther, i customised the install and had it down to 2gbs or there abouts, I can't quite remember. Will Tiger be much more than this?

Thanks

Hmm, i am quessing about 3 GB but you never know, cos from the builds, they are on roughly 2.5Gb at the mo' i think so, ireckon you need to free up some space on Your HD.

DjVoTeZ

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
EGT said:
Hi there

Thanks

I would free up at least 10 GB. Mac OS X functions most smoothly when less than 85% of the hard drive is full. Get an external hard drive if you have to. Make sure it follows these suggestions:

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
EGT said:
Dam apple Loseless!
That's why I have a 250 GB external LaCie drive for my iTunes library and all the Apple Lossless files in it; and therefore ~50 GB of free space on my ~80 GB internal hard drive - plenty for Tiger.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Not sure if it affects experienced Mac users since I usually do a CUSTOM INSTALL and the last few OS upgrades didn't take more then 2gigs of HD space ever. Unless you use all the iLife apps and other 3rd party junk. :)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I still have about 40GB's left on my internal... Which should last me until I get a G5 sometime next year. Since I will be installing the Final of Tiger when it's out, I'll be down to about 37-38GB's. If I get motivated before hand, I might try and wipe stuff I don't need (3rd party sharware apps, files) to reclaim some more room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.