Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sorry if this question has already been asked, I haven't been able to find any answers anywhere.

I haven't bought much from the Mac App Store, but so far everything I've bought I've paid for once and been able to install on both my Macs.

What's the deal with Lion? I imagine it will only install on the Mac I buy it on? Or will I be able to install it on my MacBook after buying, downloading and installing on my iMac?

Thanks,

Tim.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'm pretty sure that during the keynote Apple said the licensing for Lion was the same as for any other App Store delivered product: you can install it on multiple machines as long as each of those machines is logged in/authorised for the same App Store account.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Oh wow, that's awesome. I'll be happy to buy Lion then. (I wasn't very impressed when I got my $100 Magic Trackpad and was forced to upgrade to Snow Leopard to use it... needless to say Apple didn't get a cent out of me for the OS).

Thanks for your help.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As someone who's bought the "Family Pack" OS upgrades in the past because I, as an individual, own multiple Macs I'm pretty happy too :D

Agreed that this is one positive aspect to having OSX sold on the MAS. I can see apple positioning OSX for mass consumption given the price and the ability to download and install. There are certainly some negatives to this approach as well, some of which I've been vocal about. Still I can see how this can be a win for most mac users.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I wonder if Microsoft will follow with this pricing? The only additional thing you get is the ability to install on any brand of hardware...

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
I wonder if Microsoft will follow with this pricing? The only additional thing you get is the ability to install on any brand of hardware...
Microsoft will not: they making business on selling software, but Apple is selling hardware, actually what they get on selling apps in app store is not that much.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Lion upgrade can be installed on all your authorised personal Macs

A household discussion spun off from a topic out about the Lion purchase process for business and education:

Mac App Store rules do not have limits to the number of Macs that can be authorized. If you're lucky enough to have 50 Macs in your household that you use the same Apple ID on, then you can install Lion on all 50 Macs for the same low price of $29.99. …

I was sceptical (imagining maybe a ten-Mac limit) but then found three MacWorld articles, some of which are widely plagiarised:

In the recent Apple UK press release: The Lion upgrade can be installed on all your authorised personal Macs.

On one hand: I wonder whether Apple expects the user to have a licensed installation of 10.6.8 on each of those Macs before installation of Lion. (If the Mac doesn't have the App Store, it can't be authorised.)

On the other hand: maybe it will be within the terms of the license to authorise your Mac, for Lion purposes, after you install Lion. (Visualise: a Lion-capable Tiger Mac alongside a Lion-capable Snow Leopard Mac, with just one purchased and copied installer for Lion.)

This is another area that should become clearer after licenses are published.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.