Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnknownEnder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I saw a similar post about this problem but I am running on a MacBook Pro and can give more detail. The computer went through the problem of being stuck with the shift key forcing it to start in safe mode. Took it to an Apple store, found out the warranty is expired and they did a PROM wipe to try to solve the problem. Take it home, then the harddrive is corrupt and wont even start up anymore. Finally got the install cds, wiped the whole hd clean, and started over. Shift key is still stuck in on, so I removed the keys completely and it's still on. The shift key randomly turned off after I had turned it on after it died from the battery and allowed me to enter my registration info. I'm currently installing software updates, hearing that if its software that might fix it. Anyone know what might fix this problem, or help determine if its not the hardware its self. Price for a new top layer unibody is 300$ and I don't have that kinda money.

Ja82

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
Same deal with me. Mine is a Late 2008 Unibody Macbook with Lion. Shift key seems to be stuck so it's always in Safe Mode, refuses to sleep and it's starting to get crazy hot. Plus the slow reaction from the shift key being stuck is extremely annoying! Did you ever get to fix this?

jsutrov

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
East Bay, CA
day late dollar short reply...

guessing you saw my post, a few weeks before yours, but i got my macbook working normally a about 6 months ago, (half mysterious fluke half opening it up). if you haven't genius bar / shady cl sold / new upper body / thrown over bridge / etc. i can tell you what worked for me. i still blame stupid incorporated non-removable keyboard and inlaid trackpad. fashion over function...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.