Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Hello in my quest to find the perfect Ipad .mkv with subitiles player for my movies and animes well none works

Tried these

BuzzPlayer : Plays fine but subtitles are horrible written
GoodPlayer : Plays fine but they refuse to add a SMB streaming option for now.
VLC and XBMC (Jailbreak) They lag like crazy

On each Video VLC pop saying Your IPAD is too slow to play this movie do you want to continue).

And the video cuts alot.

Can we really hope to have a perfect mkv player one day?

fuquyo

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
I tried all the above and a few more. The two players i have kept are AVplayer HD (very smooth with great features), and OPlayer (ability to download movies off mrbrownee). These two may not have subtitles features you are looking for..Cinexplayer is another good option with subtities feature

iPhone 6

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
These videos are being decoded in software. And .mkv files are usually pretty large...I almost can't blame them.

Also, would you mind telling me how you got VLC?

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Also keep in mind the video file has a lot to do with the performance. If you're trying to watch a 1080p mkv then yes you're probably going to have performance issues. I watch mkv and xvid avi files all the time using both VLC but more recently AVPlayer and they run great. You might want to try and find a lower res version of the video, or convert it down yourself using Handbrake.

IcyStorm

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
Are you using an iPad 1? That's expected.

Seems like the iPad 2 is showing major performance gains with XBMC, according to a thread in their iOS forum.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For GoodPlayer, the SMB streaming/client will be in the coming 2.6 version

Hello in my quest to find the perfect Ipad .mkv with subitiles player for my movies and animes well none works

Tried these

BuzzPlayer : Plays fine but subtitles are horrible written
GoodPlayer : Plays fine but they refuse to add a SMB streaming option for now.
VLC and XBMC (Jailbreak) They lag like crazy

On each Video VLC pop saying Your IPAD is too slow to play this movie do you want to continue).

And the video cuts alot.

Can we really hope to have a perfect mkv player one day?

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
XBMC!!!!!!

Then you need a touch screen theme.
And you can hock XBMC up to a documents folder in another app so you can use iTunes file transferre to copy files to ur pc.
And you can use iTransmission to download torrents. (I have some plist hacks for this app i can share if anyone is interested)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.