Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pomme

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Vermont
Hey guys,

iTunes just isn't recognizing my iPod. I've tried everything I can think of... restarting my iPod, restarting my iBook, updating the iPod, updating iTunes, reinstalling iTunes, using (it pains me) the USB cable instead of firewire, checking the Disk Utility, repairing permissions. In disk utility, "Katie's iPod" shows up, but in a strange gray color, and I get an error message every time I try to verify or repair. I even let both the 'book and the 'pod sit over night, just because sometimes, just sometimes, things like this have happened and then magically righted themselves in a few hours. It's doing exactly what it was doing last night — charging just find, and the iPod is teling me "do not disconnect," but it's just not showing up on my desktop or, most importantly, on iTunes.

My iPod's been acting up the last few weeks, but I don't know if that's related. A couple of times the songs have played haltingly, and when I go to start an album, it'll occasionally scroll through all of the songs without playing any of them. That hasn't happened in a long time, though, and it always righted itself after a few minutes.

Any ideas?

Katie

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Have you tried reinstalling iTunes? Could be some issue there. I guess a last resort you could run the iPod restore, I'd just be afraid that if it didn't work then I wouldn't be able to get my music back onto the iPod.

Pomme

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Vermont
I don't know that running restore is even an issue... I can't access the iPod from my iBook at all. As for reinstalling iTunes, I've already done that, as I mentioned in my first post. And, twenty four hours since I first noticed the problem, it is STILL not recognizing my iPod. I'm a hop skip and a jump away from calling Apple Support. This just ticks me off.

Katie

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Well if you haven't used your 1 phone call to Apple for your iPod, I'd do it. Most likely the first thing they'll have you do is restore the iPod.
Oh, have you tried creating another user and pluging the iPod in under that user that way you can eliminate an issue in your user account.

Pomme

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Vermont
I am STILL having problems, and I can't get my iPod to show up on my iBook or my iTunes at all. Everything that's been suggested just isn't helping. Ideas? Please? I'm getting desperate here.

pomgernate

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
same problem

Hello,
i have the same exact problem. so if you figure this out could you tell us all how you fixed it. or if you could just tell us or if you could send me an email.
thanks

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Have you tried the "restore" option on the iPod software updater?
If you do this (the updater has a cunning nack of recognissing iPods that iTunes can't see!) and still there's no iPod, DEMAND a replacement (if it's relatively new).
Hope this helped :)

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
One thing to try - put the ipod in diagnostic mode (look here)
And then do the "Disk Scan" - see what happens (you may also wanna do the 5-in-1). Note down what comes out. Bear in mind that when you call apple, they'll probably ask you to do this again!

maahonen

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
iPod problemsmy

Wanted to share my experience here - I have a 3rd gen 20Gb iPod. I used it with a PC, and when I connected it into my Mac the first time (via USB), my mac told me to reformat it. I didn't do it then, but a week later I tried - nothing worked. My Mac would simply not recognize the iPod at all, USB or Firewire. I reset it a number of times.

The solution was to connect the iPod to a PC and restore it. Then, I was able to connect it to my Mac - and restore it to Mac format.

My only remaining problem is that iTunes does not recognize my iPod via Firewire. Given the lousy battery in the iPod (it's a few years old, with little use - but then again the batteries on these things never were that good), I have to get the FireWire to work to even load music in...

levifig

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Ames, IA
Wanted to share my experience here - I have a 3rd gen 20Gb iPod. I used it with a PC, and when I connected it into my Mac the first time (via USB), my mac told me to reformat it. I didn't do it then, but a week later I tried - nothing worked. My Mac would simply not recognize the iPod at all, USB or Firewire. I reset it a number of times.

The solution was to connect the iPod to a PC and restore it. Then, I was able to connect it to my Mac - and restore it to Mac format.

My only remaining problem is that iTunes does not recognize my iPod via Firewire. Given the lousy battery in the iPod (it's a few years old, with little use - but then again the batteries on these things never were that good), I have to get the FireWire to work to even load music in...

Thanks! Was fixing an old(er) iPod Photo 40Gb for a friend and was hitting the same problems: showed up on Disk Utility but not iTunes! Since I also have PCs handy, I hook the iPod to it and it worked right away!

Thank you for the tip! :)

~Levi F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.