Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lionrestore.jpg

Resume is one of the main new features to OS X Lion, one taken directly from iOS:
Now apps you close will reopen right where you left off, so you never have to start from scratch again. And when you install software updates, you no longer need to save your work, close your apps, and spend valuable time setting everything up again. With Resume, you can restart your Mac and return to what you were doing -- with all your apps in the places where you left them.
Now, this feature might be all well and good, but what if you want your Mac to behave like it did in Snow Leopard? Resume can be easily disabled, but the option is fairly hidden.

Head to System Preferences and select the General tab. At the bottom of that page is a checkbox labeled "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps." If you uncheck that, your apps will continue to behave as they did in Snow Leopard.

Hat tip OS X Daily.

Article Link: How To Disable Lion's 'Resume' Feature

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It is incredibly hard to break the habit of closing down all applications and saving your work before logging out. Not to mention the additional time it takes for resume to write the contents to disk.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish you could pick and choose what apps to use this for. There are certain programs I like to start fresh with whenever I close them. Ie firefox, iTunes, Photoshop.

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8K2)

Resume is a really good feature, just not while using Safari.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
This is the best tip and I am surprised it's not mentioned in the article:

Hate the new resume feature and how you end up with a bunch of old windows/tabs open when you launch Safari, QuickTime, or any app that uses Lion's new resume feature?

Well a simple three button keyboard shortcut will save you all the trouble:

⌥ + ⌘ + Q
(thats Option + Command + Q)

Simply press these keys when you want to quit an app and the next time you open it, the last opened windows/tabs will not be resumed and you will start with a fresh app.

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8K2)

Resume is a really good feature, just not while using Safari.

I hope when you say that you're referring to 'online banking' ;)

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like it too

meerkat35

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Had my first "unexpectedly quit" Mail app on Lion at the beginning of the day, nothing major but when I restarted my MBA the Mail app started at the point it was left off where it froze, so I have to restart again.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hate the new resume feature and how you end up with a bunch of old windows/tabs open when you launch Safari, QuickTime, or any app that uses Lion's new resume feature?

Well a simple three button keyboard shortcut will save you all the trouble:

⌥ + ⌘ + Q
(thats Option + Command + Q)

Simply press these keys when you want to quit an app and the next time you open it, the last opened windows/tabs will not be resumed and you will start with a fresh app.

Huh... not the most elegant key combination to have to press. Fortunately, I think I'll like Resume (although I haven't installed Lion on my computer yet... I figure I'll give it a few versions to iron out the bugs before I move over to it.)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You guys really shouldn't be encouraging people to disable this feature IMHO.

By telling people how to repair a design fault. When I quit a program I expect it to be back in it's default state when I open it again rather than having to remember to close all the windows first then quitting. Such having multiple spreadsheets open in Excel or photos in Photoshop. Which more than likely I will not want to view when I open back up the program.

I'm sure this seems great to people that set their browser to open back up all the tabs that where open when closed. However, I can count on one hand the number of clients I have that ever want to use that feature.

BettBee

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
By telling people how to repair a design fault. When I quit a program I expect it to be back in it's default state when I open it again rather than having to remember to close all the windows first then quitting. Such having multiple spreadsheets open in Excel or photos in Photoshop. Which more than likely I will not want to view when I open back up the program.

I'm sure this seems great to people that set their browser to open back up all the tabs that where open when closed. However, I can count on one hand the number of clients I have that ever want to use that feature.

I think omnivector may be being deliberately annoying here. Of course users should be encouraged to know how to totally customize their experience of any graphical user interface.

robertsduney

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
This really is retarded.

It most certainly is not good when you're "online banking." Even when you're not, who wants everything they had open when they closed an application quickly with COMMAND+Q to open again when they reopen it?

It is most especially annoying with Preview. If I open a picture, look at it, quit the application, then open the application again when looking at another photo, it open the old one just behind the new one! It's an ever-growing tree!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wait a second, this explains why I was encountering "ghost" images opening in Preview after I would close it and later open another file in another folder. :eek:

*facedesk*

My brother thought my Macbook was possessed or he somehow had broken it.

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Now we just need a way to change the default on reboot. It takes forever to reopen apps (that I probably don't want open - that's why I rebooted to begin with), and that darn checkbox on the shutdown window is defaulted in the wrong direction (should be empty).

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2010
This feature is annoying.

It's been disabled on my Macs. Thanks for the tip.

Totally, bugs the hell out of me, randomly opening files I no longer want to see… especially in Preview… had it off soon as I found the option.

Besides if this was a true "Resume" feature it should have dumped out the app ram/state to disk and then REALLY resume where you left off, not "try" to resume "roughly kinda somewhat" where you left off. This feature sucks!

Bigdaddyguido

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have had so many people yell at me as I try and help them with their computer troubles that they wished something like resume existed.

Now it exists and some of these sane people are yelling at me that it does.

People just have so much trouble not freaking out at something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.