Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxocube

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I installed Lion, as well as upgraded to iTunes 10.4, yesterday. Everything went well.

My only annoyance is that .m4a files now have blank icons, instead of the usual design. MP3 icons display fine. .m4v file icons are blank as well, e.g., on TV shows I have purchased from the iTunes Music Store.

I did what I thought were the obvious things to do: 'Get Info' for one of the files, make sure iTunes is the default program to open it with, and hit the 'Change All' button. Nothing. I've also (i) restarted the system more than a few times, (ii) used Disk Utility to repair the permissions on my machine, and (iii) reset launch services. All to no avail.

These files all play fine - they open with iTunes when I double click on them, and iTunes recognizes and plays all items in my library. It's just an aesthetic thing but it's driving me nuts.

Any ideas on what else to try?

ChadG12

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I'm having the same problem, but it's affecting .m4a AND .m4v files. iTunes doesn't even show up as an option to associate the files with, I have to select it with "Other..."

I've rebooted, repaired permissions, and rebuilt the launch services database, all to no avail. Very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.