Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
I have a G5 2.3 dual \ 6 gb ram \ 2 TB HD \ Tiger 10.4.3. and it seems the more i use the CD-RW to listen to music or record my CD-RW starts to act strange. Sometimes when I hit the eject button on the keyboard it opens and sometimes it dosent. Other times I hit the eject key and it opens real quicky and closes before I can get the CD out, then when i press the eject key again, then it opens and stays open long enough to get the CD out.

I swapped out the drive twice with other CD-RW drives that came out of other G5's and they all do the same thing. Whats up with that ???!!!

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Not too sound like newbie, but i am, but how do i do updates???? and what do they do????????

You can go to the apple menu in the top-left of the screen, click it and you'll see an option for 'software update'. Assuming you're connected to the internet, Apple will then tell you what (Apple) software you have that has updates available. It's could be there will be quite a lot, so set some time aside for this, especially if your internet connection isn't fast. You can uncheck any you don't want to update and go through the same process another time if you don't want to do it all at once.

It's fairly self-explanatory once you start. As to "what do they do", generally the OS updates fix small bugs, address security flaws, and occasionally add or modify minor features in the operating system. Software update will give a brief description of what each update does if you click once on each item in the list.

As to your problem with the disc drive, if the software update (which you should do regardless) doesn't help then it could be your keyboard's eject key is a little stuck or broken. If you have another keyboard to hand, that might be worth doing just to see if that's what the problem is.

If you're using the original chunky white/plastic G5 keyboard, you could gently prise the eject key off and make sure it's not filled with dust or gunk underneath (blu-tack is great for picking up stuff out of keyboards). They keys come off reasonably easily if you gently lever them with a small screwdriver, and you can press them back in to place afterwards.

Another option would be to try dragging a disc to the trash (which will eject it) or selecting it in the Finder and using the 'Eject' command in the menus (or pressing command(the apple key)+e). Trying all of these these could further narrow down whether the problem is the keyboard, the specific key, or something else.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.