Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fantismo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Hi guys
What's the maximum ram I can put in one... The store says 8 gigs. I say... Oh Relly? Can't we pop that up a tad?

:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can find specs on all Apple products:
  • By visiting EveryMac.com
  • By using Mactracker
  • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006

The first plage is all desktop RAM. No, you won't get $1500 memory for ~$300 or so. :D

Suggest you follow the instructions and check everymac or look up your SN on apple's site to get the right specification, and possibly even understand the difference vs desktop and notebook RAM, or you're going to wind up with a useless expense.
hint - pin count.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
16Gb is the unofficial max to date as per OWC, but Apple states 8Gb.

I have 8Gb though and have never had it all used up lol

Pyre1582

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Hoping the price of the 16GB sticks drop. Not that I need them, far from it. It just tickles my inner nerd to know that I 'do' have that memory (When the price drops that is..)

You could pop in 16GB, 2x8 Modules. Though it's pretty pricy like the others said at 1k+. Though, two or so years ago 2x4 GB modules used to cost 1k. Hahah.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I'm very intrigued to know how 8GB is limiting you at the moment.

Really? I do some work, then I run out of RAM. This is chill work time:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-10 at 5.12.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-10 at 5.12.57 PM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 863

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
What are you doing to you Mac to max out your RAM like that? Running Photoshop in Windows via Parallels so you can work on a 20 MP photo?

fingerman

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Stockport, UK
If you're working in an environment which requires you using your mac to run virtual machines the memory it easily eaten up!

I regularly run my mbp just using mail, firefox, teamviewer then 3 or 4 virtual machines all at the same time with about 1 to 2GB allocated to each

I wish I had 16GB instead of the 8GB I currently have as I do experience slow downs and slight stuttering, and I know the extra ram will make the difference.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oh please. 8GB is limiting me at this point. At 16GB, these new MBPs are very close to desktop replacements.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1333DDR3S16P

This stuff has dropped significantly in the last few weeks. By years end, it will be getting close to $500. I would take a look again at the end of the year.

Exactly. I have no idea why someone modded your post down, I guess someone who doesn't do real work on a computer doesn't understand it's not the case for everyone?

I was going to including a screenshot with my own current memory usage, seems you had the same idea. :) This is pretty typical, attached. 'Free' RAM on OSX isn't really accurate, as there is caching happening that detracts from free, and inactive is essentially 'free' RAM waiting to be freed fully...you can check active page-outs with:
sar -g 15 99
or similar (will check every 15 seconds for active pageouts, etc.).
(or use top, or..)

Multiple VMs and a reasonably high number of active non-lightweight apps needed up constantly = you're going to be swapping sooner or later. I'll be watching the cost of that 16GB kit as well. It's nowhere near worth it to me at current pricing, but that changes once it drops the price in half or more.

I'm actively paging out at the moment, and reducing even inactive to near 0 and inducing more pageouts is a simple vm launch away.. :D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-10 at 7.48.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-10 at 7.48.27 PM.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 198

timewarrior

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Exactly. I have no idea why someone modded your post down, I guess someone who doesn't do real work on a computer doesn't understand it's not the case for everyone?

I was going to including a screenshot with my own current memory usage, seems you had the same idea. :) This is pretty typical, attached. 'Free' RAM on OSX isn't really accurate, as there is caching happening that detracts from free, and inactive is essentially 'free' RAM waiting to be freed fully...you can check active page-outs with:
sar -g 15 99
or similar (will check every 15 seconds for active pageouts, etc.).
(or use top, or..)

Multiple VMs and a reasonably high number of active non-lightweight apps needed up constantly = you're going to be swapping sooner or later. I'll be watching the cost of that 16GB kit as well. It's nowhere near worth it to me at current pricing, but that changes once it drops the price in half or more.

I'm actively paging out at the moment, and reducing even inactive to near 0 and inducing more pageouts is a simple vm launch away.. :D

I am reaching the limits of 40 Gigs or RAM. Where can I get 24 GB DIMMs for MBP :)

Attachments

• Screen shot Memory.png
    Screen shot Memory.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 243

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
A good SSD storing your OS, apps and page file is going to be a much cheaper fix to your paging issue than splurging well over a grand on 16GBs worth of SODIMMs... :)

While more RAM would be better from an absolute performance standpoint, I don't think it'd be that much better that it'd be worth the huge amount of money you need to spend.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
Wow, I'd rather buy an iMac or Air than get 16GB of RAM these days. I can understand why the price is high, but I still think the price is way too steep just for memory.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
I am reaching the limits of 40 Gigs or RAM. Where can I get 24 GB DIMMs for MBP :)

Bah, you've got plenty of RAM free and inactive, though. :)

What's really disturbing is just the pricing differences of desktop vs laptop RAM - higher density chips on the sodimms of course, but it's not like the technology there is anything truly 'special.' Lower production numbers of course, but just wow:
16GB 2x8GB DDR3-1333 240 pin desktop ram - $130-$200
16GB 204 pin DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM - $1200-ish.

At least the 8GB kits have converged to roughly the same pricing.
Looks like i'll be waiting 6-12 months and tracking the pricing. I've bought pretty 'overpriced' RAM upgrades for laptops previously, but I'll be waiting a while on 16GB. It should at least cut in half if not more within a year (hopefully!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.