Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Long story short, I purchased a 13" MBA 256 GB two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for it to delivered. I have an iMac now, and I don't want to transfer everything that is on it onto the MBA (I have alot of junk on it). Would I be able to pick and choose the apps and files thru Migration Assistant, or just use an external hard drive and do the picking and choosing myself?

ewlon

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
SE
Migration Assistant

migration Assistant doesn't let you pick & choose. Eg: applications or not, system or not, etc. It also will not work from Leopard to Lion, only fm Snow Leopard or Time Machine.

AppleFan922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
So as far as my choices go, I can either use Migration Assistant or Time Machine to transfer everything, or use the external and do it myself?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Migration Assistant doesn't let you choose specific apps or documents to transfer, but it does give you the ability not to transfer certain things. For instance, you can choose whether to migrate particular user accounts, apps, or system-wide settings.

However, this still doesn't sound like what you're looking for. You could use Migration Assistant to transfer your user account and then use your hard drive to pick and choose which apps get transferred, for instance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.