Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
To an HDTV, and have dual displays for my computer?

For example, I want to plug my MacBook (in clamshell) into a Thunderbolt display on my desk, and have an HDTV mounted on the wall near my desk for others to view. When watching movies through netflix or showing people Youtube videos, I could then continue whatever I'm doing on the Thunderbolt display while they could see whatever I was showing them on the other.

I hope that made sense... Thanks in advance!

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Yes. You would go Macbook-Thunderbolt cable-Thunderbolt display-Mini Displayport cable-mDP to HDMI adapter-HDMI-HDTV. The Thunderbolt display has a Thunderbolt port in the back so you would put the mDP cable there.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Or you could just get an ATV2... It does everything you said, netflix, youtube, even movies you have on your macbook... Afterall this is the Apple TV section of the forums...

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Or you could just get an ATV2... It does everything you said, netflix, youtube, even movies you have on your macbook... Afterall this is the Apple TV section of the forums...

But that can't even do 1080p, correct? :/ and how would you even browse YouTube without a keyboard and mouse? Maybe I need to learn more about the Apple TV... thanks for the help! :)

Also, will my computer remember the correct display settings everytime I plug it in? I've never used my computer with an external monitor before, not to mention 2 monitors

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Also, will my computer remember the correct display settings everytime I plug it in? I've never used my computer with an external monitor before, not to mention 2 monitors

In my experience, yes the computer will remember the display settings every time you plug it in and unplug it. I am not sure how well this works with multiple displays, but seeing as the ones I've used have different identifier tags (whatever the display tells the computer to identify it as), I would think it would work just fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.