Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HonestLiving

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Hello,

I'm pleased to join MacRumors to add to the lengthy and redundant list of "I DROPPED MY IPHONE!!!" threads. I was leaving the restaurant I work at, and I had some butter on my hands...poor little guy took a 3 foot drop to his demise.

The only optimism I can find in this situation is that my contract has expired, and I'm free to upgrade whenever I like. Naturally, I would never consider upgrading with the iPhone 5's release so intimate, but I cannot restore anything from my iPhone 3GS to my first generation iPhone.

I still have the backup files, I was wondering if there is anyway that the contacts may be somehow imported to address book? My iMacs hard drive died a couple of months ago, and I never synced the address book on my MacBook Pro. As of right now they are illegible.

I feel very impatient. I'm just considering buying an iPhone 4 today. If it wasn't for the hassle of losing all of my contacts, I wouldn't be itching so badly for that instant gratification. Also, I'm sick of all this speculation. Although I believe that the recent announcements by AT&T are promising.

Gah, sorry to bore you.

Have a wonderful day.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hello,

I'm pleased to join MacRumors to add to the lengthy and redundant list of "I DROPPED MY IPHONE!!!" threads. I was leaving the restaurant I work at, and I had some butter on my hands...poor little guy took a 3 foot drop to his demise.

The only optimism I can find in this situation is that my contract has expired, and I'm free to upgrade whenever I like. Naturally, I would never consider upgrading with the iPhone 5's release so intimate, but I cannot restore anything from my iPhone 3GS to my first generation iPhone.

I still have the backup files, I was wondering if there is anyway that the contacts may be somehow imported to address book? My iMacs hard drive died a couple of months ago, and I never synced the address book on my MacBook Pro. As of right now they are illegible.

I feel very impatient. I'm just considering buying an iPhone 4 today. If it wasn't for the hassle of losing all of my contacts, I wouldn't be itching so badly for that instant gratification. Also, I'm sick of all this speculation. Although I believe that the recent announcements by AT&T are promising.

Gah, sorry to bore you.

Have a wonderful day.

i always thought you choose where to sync your contacts ie google, windows contacts, mac address book, i think the backup only has sms, notes, camera roll

HonestLiving

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
i always thought you choose where to sync your contacts ie google, windows contacts, mac address book, i think the backup only has sms, notes, camera roll

Yes, apple does have some strange rhetoric in the support section, but they state that SMS and Contacts are retained.

Even if I could just get SMS, I'd be more than merry! I have read a few threads that stated that their unsynched contacts were saved by backup. I'm not sure if this is true, but I'd like some more information on exporting *any* of the backup information.

Thanks for your quick reply :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.