Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THRobinson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Hey there

Been lookin' around for compatibility but, not seeing much newer than about 2009. My Pioneer DVR-106D died and looking for a cheap replacement.

Anyone know of what's currently available that's compatible with a PowerPC G5 tower running OSX10.5?

Mainly looking at TigerDirect.ca and NCIX.com since I order from them often.

ASUS, Lite-ON, Sony, LG... maybe the Pioneer since MAC's seem to use Pioneer often, but, not easy to find a new cheap one that's not SATA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... older system but, between jobs so, kinda need it to last just a bit longer. :D

THRobinson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Zurich, ON (Canada)
NewEgg also has a .ca for Canada... checked there and they listed a bunch of older Pioneer's but no IDE Pioneer's are currently available.

eBay has some but, asking way too much in some cases which is why I was looking as some $25 Asus/Sony/LG drives still available. But, like I said, went to check compatibility and since my computer is an older model, most reports posts are from 2007-2009 so, those drives are no longer for sale.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Many of the LG dvd burner drives are pretty good. I use one and it works awesome.
iTunes and Apple disc burner see's it and burns without an issue.

HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-H55N:

Model: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-H55N
Revision: 1.05
Serial Number:
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: No
Power Off: No

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N:

Firmware Revision: 1.05
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

THRobinson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Any IDE burner will be compatible. You can use SATA one too, with such adapter

Any IDE?

I know the older MAC's were well... picky... when it came to stuff like drives and memory, which is why I was hesitant to grab the ASUS IDE drive... locally in stock and about $20CAD.

Will give it a try.... failing that, my sister's computer needs a new drive also so, will probably work in theirs. :)

Nova77

May 12, 2011
Any drive for the original Mac Pro's will do it, as Apple kept the slower IDE bus for the optical drive until 2008. For instance, you can buy a Blu-ray (also reads/burns everything from CDs to DVDs double layer...) internal drive made by MCE for the Mac Pro (2006-2008).

I don't know if a SATA to ATA adapter works for an optical drive, but I've read most SATA PCI cards won't do it. Granted, its a different thing, but I would be cautious with that.

THRobinson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I'll avoid the SATA adapter... for the cost of the adapter and shipping on top of the IDE drive, be as cheap or cheaper just to grab a DVR-110D or similar off eBay.

Now that the PPC is no longer supported, and with that a lack of things like Flash updates, Adobe CS# compatibility, etc... I don't want to put anymore money into the computer than I have to. Soon as I'm working again I'll be a newer/used Intel system.

THRobinson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Not really.... I mean, if I do that then it means selling the system with no drive at all. Makes it that much harder to sell.

Plus, the new system with SATA, if the drive ever dies, I'll get a newer faster drive, possibly bluray when the prices drop.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Or if you want to, if you can get your hands on a SATA card like i did (got a Sonnet SATA card for $0) you can plug SATA hard drives and DVD roms into it, and if and when PATA drives are pulled from the market, you can use SATA's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.