Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drybeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Hi.
For me one downside of Lion is that the Power PC based games that I like going back to time and time again (Medal of Honour, Call of Duty etc.) are no longer able to run on Lion.
Does anyone know a way around this?
Thanks,
Andrew.:(

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
1) Find an Intel patch if one exists.
2) Buy an external HD and install Snow Leopard and the games to it. Reboot with it when you want to play.
3) Downgrade to Snow Leopard.
4) Buy a second-hand PPC Mac. They'll be silly cheap now.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You can grab the intel patch for Call of Duty here, however it crashes in Lion. I expect Aspyr will release an update soon because it is a supported game on the App store.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
To be clear, there is no way to run PPC code in Lion without using emulation, and there isn't any PPC emulation right now that would do what you want. SheepShaver can run OS 9, but that's older than what you want and doesn't have the performance you need for the games you mentioned.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
1) Find an Intel patch if one exists.
2) Buy an external HD and install Snow Leopard and the games to it. Reboot with it when you want to play.
3) Downgrade to Snow Leopard.
4) Buy a second-hand PPC Mac. They'll be silly cheap now.

5) Install Snow Leopard Server in a virtual machine.

drybeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2010
You can grab the intel patch for Call of Duty here, however it crashes in Lion. I expect Aspyr will release an update soon because it is a supported game on the App store.

Ah - that's good info.

Many thanks for all of the posts - to be clear I'm talking about the original Call of Duty...

Not for Call of Duty modern warfare et al.

Do you think this will be a patch or is this simply not possible in Lion (apologies for being somewhat dim on the subject - I'm no expert on Macs).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Buying a PowerPC Mac is probably the best solution. Either that or downgrade to Snow Leopard.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Well, we all know you can do the boot camp thing to run windows games on a mac. I thought about it - boot camp creates a 2nd partition on your drive which you boot from. So, a possible solution would be to create a partition on your drive that boots into Snow Leopard, then boot from that when you want to run games.

I don't know anything about Rosetta, but I wonder if Apple released it, could a 3rd party adapt it to run on Lion?

I wish they would. As it's highly likely that given the chance, a 3rd party would do a Rosetta patch.

FWIW, I'm all for progress, including with gaming, but OS X has some timeless classic games in native code (not Ciderized) that previously ran well on even fairly low-spec Macs.

I imagine that many gamers of various ages would love to keep the option of playing them on the latest Macs (some of which still have low specs) with OS X Lion. Eg., AoE 2, Rise of Nations, Diablo 2, Civilization 3, Starcraft, to name just a few.

Seems a pity to have lost all of those from the OS X games catalogue for the latest & all future Macs, just as the Mac platform was beginning to look a bit more solid gaming-wise for those who never want to use Boot Camp or buy a PC.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Do you think this will be a patch or is this simply not possible in Lion (apologies for being somewhat dim on the subject - I'm no expert on Macs).

I don't know anything about Rosetta, but I wonder if Apple released it, could a 3rd party adapt it to run on Lion?

No. All the system files on Lion are intel-only now. There's no more PPC code left, and Rosetta needs that to work.

So, a possible solution would be to create a partition on your drive that boots into Snow Leopard, then boot from that when you want to run games.

A good interim solution, but only useful for Macs that came with SL. Macs released after Lion can't run the older OS. A Virtual Machine may be able to run SL, though.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
One more option for many older titles is buying a cheap PC version and running it in Mac OS X using Crossover Games or Wineskin.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Or just bootcamp... better performance than Crossover or Wineskin...

if performance is what matters to you... I prefer a performance hit and not having to install or run Windows at all.. and not losing access to my whole OS just to reboot to play a game. A performance hit is a much better trade off to me. While it might not be to you... its still nice to give everyone the options so they can do whats best for them.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
if performance is what matters to you... I prefer a performance hit and not having to install or run Windows at all.. and not losing access to my whole OS just to reboot to play a game. A performance hit is a much better trade off to me. While it might not be to you... its still nice to give everyone the options so they can do whats best for them.

True. With games, however, performance is top priority since low performance can be the difference between life and death. Ever lagged right off a cliff halfway into a very long mission forcing you to restart the whole mission? Sucks.

Not saying your way is wrong, but performance is generally extremely important in gaming.

Sometimes it's not an option. Half-Life 2 runs quite acceptably under Windows on my MacBook, but so poorly under OS X that it's completely unplayable. Granted, it's not an old PPC game that is the subject of this thread, just an example.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Install Snow Leopard on an external hard drive and use it just for games. That's what I would do. Cheaper than buying a PPC Mac (less space taken up too) and the alternative is Boot Camping it.

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
Well, we all know you can do the boot camp thing to run windows games on a mac. I thought about it - boot camp creates a 2nd partition on your drive which you boot from. So, a possible solution would be to create a partition on your drive that boots into Snow Leopard, then boot from that when you want to run games.

That's me! Though I did it mostly to run Quicken 2007. But the triple boot works fine. The only downside was that when I resized my Lion partition to make space for the Snow Leopard install, I lost the invisible maintenance partition. I might try to rectify that at some point.

I only carved out 10GB for the Snow Leopard install, which works fine. I disabled hibernation so the hibernation file wouldn't take up the extra hard drive space.

Cheers all!

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
True. With games, however, performance is top priority since low performance can be the difference between life and death. Ever lagged right off a cliff halfway into a very long mission forcing you to restart the whole mission? Sucks.

Not saying your way is wrong, but performance is generally extremely important in gaming.

Sometimes it's not an option. Half-Life 2 runs quite acceptably under Windows on my MacBook, but so poorly under OS X that it's completely unplayable. Granted, it's not an old PPC game that is the subject of this thread, just an example.

But that's abvery extreme example. I prefer to sacrifice graphics quality and get acceptable frame rates rather than reboot into windows. If I can't get a stable or acceptable frame rate solution then I'm with you all the way. I play LotRO via crossover games but if I'm going on a raid then I'll reboot into windows as crossover occasionally locks up or lags in raids. I simply can't be bothered to reboot to log on just to do some solo/3 man stuff which is what I spend 90% of my time doing.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

Well I never meant to try to play it if its unplayably bad. I just would rather turn down the resolution and a few graphics options and get the same frame rate. Its not really the "performance" that you sacrifice 99% of the time on newer games, just the graphics quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.