Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegoemme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
Hi everybody,
I have just made a clean install of Lion because the upgrade had resulted in an extremely slow (almost unusable) MacMook. I have migrated few selected things through Migration assistant (iPhoto Library, iTunes Library, few docs). Since I wanted the present installation to be as "clean" as possible I imported my old user (lets call it A) and then I moved the libraries and the docs from A to the Shared folder, I logged out from A, I logged in as B (the "clean" user) and copied the libraries and the docs. Everything worked fine. I then decided to delete user A from system preferences (checking the "secure" mode box). Well it is "deleting the account" since 30 hours. It this normal? If not, what should I do?
thank you very much
Diego

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
It depends how much stuff you ended up deleting... Using secure delete means the sectors are overwritten with zeros, or something similar. Therefore it will take longer than just a standard deletion, which just removes reference to the file and allows the sectors to be reallocated.

diegoemme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks PCRanger... apparently it was normal. After about 60 hours it managed to delete all the accounts.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I avoid the secure ease options, mostly because my need for instant gratification supersedes my paranoia :eek:

HeroicEric

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Is there any way to cancel this once it starts? I need to ship out this computer I just sold and I don't have 60 hours to wait for this to finish... It won't let me close System Prefs or shutdown/restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.