Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil.Edward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
what is the best system optimization software for mac or a system cleaner

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Using none at all. I swear people who load their Macs up with maintenance utilities have more problems than those that don't worry about every last cache file and CPU percentage and just use their Macs to do their work.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Using none at all. I swear people who load their Macs up with maintenance utilities have more problems than those that don't worry about every last cache file and CPU percentage and just use their Macs to do their work.

iknow i can press the up arrow, but im gonna say this.. +1

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
what is the best system optimization software for mac or a system cleaner
None. As for system cleaners, avoid them like the plague. They have a bad reputation for not removing everything that you want removed, but may remove stuff that you don't want removed.

Be careful with terms like optimization. It has a very different meaning on the Mac than it does on Windows. On Windows, it means that files are defragmented and relocated for more efficient access. On the Mac, the term means that applications are prebound to their supporting frameworks in an effort to reduce launch times. In the case defragmentation, the Mac takes care of itself (with rare exception). Third party defragmentation software may degrade performance. In the case of optimal relocation of files, Apple explains that it uses a private bitmap to which the third-party utility developers are not privy. As a result, their software cannot increase performance and will also likely degrade performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.