Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:55 AM   #1
tootall
macrumors regular

Office update 14.1.3 = no cursor in Word?

Since I have updated to 14.1.3 (Office for Mac 2011), I cannot see the cursor anymore in word. I just see it once when I open the document, not to ever see it again!

I understand that it is supposed to disappear when you type, but it never shows up again, even when I click on the document!

I have checked in preferences and have not found anything relevant, what am i missing or is it a MS-Bug?

EDIT: really weird, it happens only in some documents and not in others!?

Last edited by tootall; Sep 14, 2011 at 07:19 AM.
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Grannyville7989
macrumors 6502a

Are you running Lion by any chance? I hear that Office 2011 isn't 100% compatible with Lion. I've been reading/hearing people having some bugs and glitches since being on Lion.
Grannyville7989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:31 AM   #3
wordsworth
macrumors member

I'm running Word (Office for Mac 2011) in Snow Leopard and Word does 'weird things' in that environment, too. The activated audio alerts will simply cease mid-work session, for example. And its compatibility with Pages leaves a lot to be desired (but in ways that really ought not to occur between two major software packages).

I'd say, when using Word, simply prepare to accept that you get eccentric functionality (to put it politely). However, an AWOL cursor is indeed a little too eccentric for comfort. It does sound like a Lion issue.

Last edited by wordsworth; Sep 14, 2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: accuracy of statement
wordsworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:22 AM   #4
tootall
macrumors regular

Indeed I am using Lion, however I started having this "intriguing" problem only since the last office update...
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:22 AM   #5
tahoeroscoe
macrumors regular

word hides the cursor when typing, it must think you're typing or something. I just upgraded my office for mac 2011 a couple hours ago and it appears to be working fine so far.
tahoeroscoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

I Installed The Update

Yesterday on my iMac running Lion....No issues at all, but there is a thread here with people reporting installation problems, but there doesn't seem to be a specific problem, just a few random installation problems.

I think most were caused by people who had moved the original files to a different location making it "Invisible" to the MS updater.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:44 PM   #7
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502

Have you guys updated to the latest version? It's 14.3.1 now.
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 11:44 AM   #8
EnglishTeacher
macrumors newbie

Cursor and duplicated text problems in Word

Hi, I have a related but different problem, wondered if anyone had knowledge about... I'm on a Mac Powerbook running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 with Office 2010. When I try to place a cursor to either type or highlight text, sometimes Word won't let me put it where I want to, but will put it elsewhere on the line. No matter what I do, I can't put it between the letters I need it to be between. Then, if I do get the cursor where I want it to go, when I start typing, it shows up somewhere else (not where the cursor was), or a whole line of text gets duplicated. Sometimes a line semi disappears (as in, I can see the top or bottom half of the words). Is this a Word problem, an OS X problem, or a hardware problem?

Thanks!

----------

I think I solved the problem by discovering I was working in some strange "style" I never selected, clearing the format, and going to "Normal." Nonetheless, if you have some insight into the problem I described, let me know!
EnglishTeacher is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store