Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Today i finally purchased Ipad 2 wifi 64gb from bestbuy.

i havent opened it due to that fact that am paranoid at new gadgets that i buy and i always need to make sure i do the right thing from the start (not even sure which iOS i have hopefully one that i can jailbreak ...first thing i did was purchased a smart cover (grey) at best buy and i also purchased the ZUM SC ULTIMATE from amazon but it will arrive Tomorrow. the reason i havent opened it has been because i have not purchased a screen protector, and i been looking all over on which one to purchase, i tend to have really oily fingers and tend to sometimes sweat a lil so i need something that is really good with fingerprints and ect.

right now am stuck on picking the power support hd protector or the iVisorAG , please any advice would be great.

now i need advice on the insurance part am looking to purchase the square trade insurance since am able to get 30% off, which it will come out about the same as apple care. now my questions is since the ipad comes with 1 year apple warranty , lets say i get the squaretrade insurance and something goes wrong with the ipad and i take it to apple and they hand me over another ipad for watever reason will that void my square trade insurance or am i able to transfer the insurance or does everything stay the same.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oh thanks ! lol makes me feel that much better, now can you atleast answer the screen protector and insurance situation....:D

Ok. Get a screen protector, they all accomplish the same thing...reducing fingerprints and protecting the screen. I just bought whatever one the shop had.

Squaretrade covers accidental damage, Apple Care doesn't.

Stop worrying about the screen and just use the dang thing. I think it will survive until your protector comes.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Screen protector = Don't need it

Insurance = Don't need it

I disagree.

I use a screen protector because my fingers don't slide smoothly over the screen coating like they do on early iPhones where the glass is not coated. This is annoying on games where my fingers have to make slight movements. I find a screen protector helps.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I disagree.

I use a screen protector because my fingers don't slide smoothly over the screen coating like they do on early iPhones where the glass is not coated. This is annoying on games where my fingers have to make slight movements. I find a screen protector helps.

Screen protectors are such an individual thing. My suggestion for the OP is try it out without and decide.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Screen protector = Don't need it

Insurance = Don't need it

But that's just me.

I agree, screen protector provides too much friction for me (I do a lot of notetaking with a stylus) so it isn't very viable. As per the insurance, get it if you need it... if it breaks - oh well. I'm not up for buying insurance as I'm quite responsible with my equipment.

Brianws71

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Arlington Heights, IL
You have until the 1 year warranty is up to get apple care so why buy it now? Apple care doesnt give you anything diffrent until your one year is up. Plus if you decide to get ipad 3 in the next year why waste your money if you not going to keep the ipad 2 for more than a year.

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
You have until the 1 year warranty is up to get apple care so why buy it now? Apple care doesnt give you anything diffrent until your one year is up. Plus if you decide to get ipad 3 in the next year why waste your money if you not going to keep the ipad 2 for more than a year.

yea i was not planning on buying apple care now, basically i wanted to know if i was to purchase the square trade insurance , and something goes wrong and i would like to go into apple store and have it fix , and for some reason they hand me over a different ipad , will it void my square trade insurance, main reason am getting square trade is for broken screen or water damage, i use apple for the 1 year for tech support and any hardware issues..

Last edited by a moderator:

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
To answer your questions about Square Trade:

1. Great company!! They offer accidental coverage (dropping, spilled liquid, etc.). Apple does not provide that coverage. In order to obtain it, you must buy the coverage within 90 days of purchasing your iPad 2.

2. Yes, the coverage is transferrable. My ipad2 was replaced by Apple and Square Trade simply took the new serial number and paperwork that Apple provided to me, done!!

Hope this helps! Enjoy iPad 2 and let us know how the Zum works out for you!

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Oh thanks ! lol makes me feel that much better, now can you atleast answer the screen protector and insurance situation....:D

I had my iPad 1 since it came out and have no marks on screen. I hate the feeling of the screen protectors as well as the texture of some of them.

As far as the insurance goes, if I drop mine, I pay for it.

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
To answer your questions about Square Trade:

1. Great company!! They offer accidental coverage (dropping, spilled liquid, etc.). Apple does not provide that coverage. In order to obtain it, you must buy the coverage within 90 days of purchasing your iPad 2.

2. Yes, the coverage is transferrable. My ipad2 was replaced by Apple and Square Trade simply took the new serial number and paperwork that Apple provided to me, done!!

Hope this helps! Enjoy iPad 2 and let us know how the Zum works out for you!

Thanks !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.