Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c-hass

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Montpellier, France
Honestly, I feel helpless. I was used to this when I had Windows, especially Vista, but I never got any problems with Mac OsX until recently.

It's been happening at least twice a day. I'm browsing the internet, listening to some music, and a couple of small applications are open (preview, stickies, iTunes) nothing more than that.

Suddenly Safari blocks, I get the rainbow cursor, I try to move it around to force quit or try to use the Finder, but then BAM, the whole system stops responding, and I'm left with only the mouse cursor working. All I can do after that is turn off, then turn on.

I've also been experiencing some lag in my iTunes, where the music stops for a couple of seconds.

I have a Macbook pro, 2010, i5 2.4, 8 gigs of ram, Lion 10.7.1 full updated (installed over Snow Leopard). Note that during all these crashes I always have at least 3 gigs of free Ram.

Help is appreciated. I'm starting to think about formatting everything, and performing a clean Lion install, though it's hard for me to do this for the moment, because I got so much work to do on my computer.

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
It's possible, since the major crash always starts with Safari, then the whole thing crashes.
I'll try installing flash.

Any other ideas are welcome, of course.

Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Mac OS X volume.
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

c-hass

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Montpellier, France
Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Mac OS X volume.
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Thanks a lot.
But why are you so sure it's a Disk problem?

KK0

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Os 10.6.8

Okay. My bad. A month or so ago, I was poking around and found some unusual folders buried away and were all locked and so on. So I opened them up and did a bunch of other stupid stuff and guess what but the machine goes crazy and I ended up having to install 10.6.3 and then 10.6.8, when previously I had been using 10.5.8. Or something close to that. I hadn't upgraded my OS since I first pulled the computer out of the box. I didn't really need to as everything I had software-wise worked more/less perfectly. Then I did that thing with the folders and permissions and I ended up totally screwing my machine. And then I was getting weird kernel panic error messages (lines of log or code or whatever it's called in white type that rolls down over a dark grey background...never seen anything like it on a Mac, and the machine is at this point totally frozen. The little wheely time thing doesn't even spin...so I have to reboot and then it does it again and again BUT I upgraded and upgraded again online, and the iMac seems to be okay, but when I plug in the peripherals, a grey curtain drops down the screen and the kernel panic code log thing rolls down again and the wheely thing freezes and the error tells me I need to turn the computer off and restart.

So my question is wtf is going on with the kernel panic and the peripherals?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.