Is your iPad going completely "PC-Free" with iOS 5? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Is your iPad going completely "PC-Free" with iOS 5?
Yes! No more iTunes! 54 28.88%
A little bit of both. iTunes & iCloud 88 47.06%
No. I like syncing to iTunes 31 16.58%
No, what are you crazy?! 2001 FTW! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:52 AM   #1
musika
macrumors 65816

Is your iPad going completely "PC-Free" with iOS 5?

With iOS 5, PC-Free is a great feature. Are you planning on going completely PC-Free, iCloud-only, and ditching iTunes Syncing for good on your iPad? Or are you staying old-fashioned and still using iTunes sync for your iPad? :P

Name:  pc_free_icon.jpg
Views: 3930
Size:  3.0 KB
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:58 AM   #2
3bs
macrumors 603

I don't have an iPad but if I did I'd just sync with wifi (which is what I intend on doing with my iPhone)
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

WiFi Sync or cable sync. I don't buy music through iTunes, and I don't want to pay for iTunes Match.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Pete the Geek
macrumors regular

It won't change much for me. I use the AppStore, DropBox and iCab on my iPad for 90% of my data syncing needs. I will still rely on iTunes for backups, OS updates, movies and other large files. I'm old-school and reluctant to start paying for "cloud" storage - though I recognize that it is inevitable.
Pete the Geek is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:40 PM   #5
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

I'm already PC free save for firmware updates...and as I'm jailbroken, firmware updates are something I approach with a great deal of caution anyway.

It's not at all hard to be PC free. Update your apps from your device, not the computer. Buy apps that already sync with the cloud (Dropbox, MobileMe, etc.). Sync your contacts/calendars/notes with Google, or other solutions (those of us on MobileMe have been doing this for years already.) Use Pandora, TuneIn Radio, Spotify, etc. for music. Stream movies via Netflix or others. You get the idea. (This, BTW, is also how I get away with using just 8 GB of a 16 GB device.)

iTunes is the biggest piece of crap software I have ever used; having spent my entire adult life in tech, and specifically in software, that's saying a lot. Trusting your information solely to an iTunes backup is basically asking to lose something critical. And frankly, anyone who has ever dealt with a loss of data will tell you multiple backups are a must anyway.

Want to take advantage of iCloud and OTA? Enjoy--Apple's finally making it easy to do. But make sure that you back up anything you care about or can't afford to lose elsewhere as well. It just makes sense.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:20 PM   #6
anjinha
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishVixen View Post
iTunes is the biggest piece of crap software I have ever used; having spent my entire adult life in tech, and specifically in software, that's saying a lot. Trusting your information solely to an iTunes backup is basically asking to lose something critical. And frankly, anyone who has ever dealt with a loss of data will tell you multiple backups are a must anyway.
So instead of relying on iTunes for backups you rely on... no backups?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Zcott
macrumors 68020

Having been running the previews of iOS 5, I can say I'll be almost entirely PC-free. iCloud backups mean no need to back up to my computer, and the only reason to do a wifi sync is to put new music on my device. For anything else like installing apps from the laptop, it's all installed automatically on either iPad or iPhone. Really excited about this.
Zcott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:58 PM   #8
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjinha View Post
So instead of relying on iTunes for backups you rely on... no backups?
You might want to reread what I wrote, because I think you missed the first part.

The only time I back up through iTunes is just prior to upgrading firmware--and that's essentially as a backup of a backup, since, as I said, my critical data is backed up elsewhere, using reliable sync setups built in to the apps I primarily use. This makes a regular iTunes backup mostly unnecessary. It's convenient to have a one click way of restoring, but when it fails--and yes, iTunes backups can and do fail--I'm not stuck trying to replace lost data or media. I use iTunes only after making sure I've synced to everything else AND made an additional copy of certain things via PhoneView.

Paranoid? Hell, yes. iTunes lets me down routinely, and did so well prior to jailbreaking. But even if it didn't, anyone who has spent any time in tech with a disaster recovery team knows that putting all your data in one place is stupid. Hard drives fail. Computers are stolen. Cloud servers are hacked or a disaster hits a server farm. It happens.

(And yes, because of that, the cloud based backups that contain vital info, such as contacts, are also backed up in more than one place. Those aren't necessarily PC free, because having a local cache of your data is also important--for me, most data is stored on both the iPhone and iPad, plus on two local hard drives and in at least one location in the cloud. I'm sure I'll use iCloud for some stuff, but it will never be the whole solution for me, and I believe it shouldn't be for anyone. At the very least, copy that backed up data to another cloud--Dropbox, Amazon, etc.)
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:09 PM   #9
xraytech
macrumors 68020

I have about 80GB of music file and maybe half of them were ripped from CDs. So unless Apple comes out with an 100GB iPad, I'm still going to sync to my MacBook Pro once and a while.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:11 PM   #10
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytech View Post
I have about 80GB of mp3 files that were ripped from CDs. So unless Apple comes out with an 100GB iPad, I'm still going to sync to my MacBook Pro once and a while.
You still wouldn't have to plug it in. You can manually delete music with iOS5 and sync back via Wi-Fi. There's really no need to plug it back to your MB.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:22 PM   #11
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
You still wouldn't have to plug it in. You can manually delete music with iOS5 and sync back via Wi-Fi. There's really no need to plug it back to your MB.
No, OP's point is to completely do away with connecting to Tunes on the computer. I argue that I still need to connect Hardwired or Wi-Fi. Unless I'm am misunderstanding iCloud.

Okay now I'm confused...

Last edited by xraytech; Sep 30, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
xraytech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:53 PM   #12
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytech View Post
No, OP's point is to completely do away with connecting to Tunes on the computer. I argue that I still need to connect Hardwired or Wi-Fi. Unless I'm am misunderstanding iCloud.

Okay now I'm confused...
Ahh, I see what you mean. In that case, you would need iTunes Match if you didn't want to use a computer, which you would still need to use iTunes Match.

*scratches head*

I'm confused now too.

Last edited by HazyCloud; Sep 30, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:07 PM   #13
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

I'll go completely wireless but will still sync with iTunes periodically to load video from my iTunes library--really the only reason I connect now (save for firmware updates).
tbayrgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 09:30 PM   #14
miamialley
macrumors 68000

I'll WiFi sync so I have a backup. Why wouldn't you?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 09:48 PM   #15
Saberon
macrumors 6502a

Wifi sync isn't related to backups.

iPhone will automatically backup when iCloud is setup regardless of whether wifi sync is enabled or not.
Saberon is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 09:50 PM   #16
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberon View Post

iPhone will automatically backup when iCloud is setup regardless of whether wifi sync is enabled or not.
Backup to your computer? Considering my issues with MobileMe (iCal and iDisk), I don't trust any cloud computing to backup anything for me.

Last edited by miamialley; Oct 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
miamialley is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:24 PM   #17
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberon View Post

thats not true - you have the option of either backing up to the cloud, or backing up to a computer (regardless of wifi sync or wired).
DoFoT9 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:16 AM   #18
dakshjuneja
macrumors newbie

a little bit of both.
dakshjuneja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:18 AM   #19
OllyW

My PC (and Mac) is still completely iPad free.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

No 2001 for the win!!
Thetonyk123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 02:56 PM   #21
nburwell
macrumors 68000

I don't sync up my iPad as often as I do my iPhone. But for the most part, my iPad is MBP free. I updated to 5.0.1 OTA without any issues.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ios 5, ipad, pc-free