Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hsop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hello.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Please remove/carry this topic as I couldn't find a better place to open it so far.

I'm using the latest VLC player however when I try to run some mkv files, all I'm getting is a green screen. I have the sound but no visual. I was always able to get files working but lately this has been happening on more than one case. When I checked back, I saw these (different) files I was trying to get to work were both released in 10bit format.

I tried to ask on their forums, check VLC FAQs for Mac and all; but so far I couldn't find any help at all.

This may be a small issue, I don't know. As I said, I couldn't find an answer; so I'd appreciate any kind of help right now.

Is there anybody who can help me with this? Is there any way at all I can get these files working?

Thanks in advance.

hsop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Thanks for the answer, it works with Movist. Out of all the places I tried to ask, this was the only useful answer, so I really mean it - thank you.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for the answer, it works with Movist. Out of all the places I tried to ask, this was the only useful answer, so I really mean it - thank you.

If you have the time, you could analyse the video with VideoSpec (I prefer that, though it hasn't been updated since 11/2009), MediaInfo Mac (10/2010) or MediaInfo (4/2011, there is a Mac OS X version to download, VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are using the same library as MediaInfo) and report back, but it is not necessary, though it could provide us an answer, why VLC behaved that way.

hsop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
As for providing an answer for not working; I guess it's a problem with the current version. Someone on the VLC forums said that "You will need VLC 1.2 to play those" but the latest VLC for Mac is 1.1.11; so it can't be helped right now. I will have to wait until the next update and I don't know how long that will take. So the best choice seems to be going with Movist right now :)

hsop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
As an update to the case: VLC is updated to version 1.1.12 right now, however 10bit files still aren't working and the green screen issue is still the same as before.

Movist is able to play them thankfully but there's an issue with the video quality. The videos seem to get quite a lot of pixelations (is this what it is called? i'm sorry if this is wrong.). At first I thought it must be the video itself but when I tried other 10bit files, the result was the same so it must either be me or something I need to correct with the player.

gogogotchi

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
As an update to the case: VLC is updated to version 1.1.12 right now, however 10bit files still aren't working and the green screen issue is still the same as before.

Movist is able to play them thankfully but there's an issue with the video quality. The videos seem to get quite a lot of pixelations (is this what it is called? i'm sorry if this is wrong.). At first I thought it must be the video itself but when I tried other 10bit files, the result was the same so it must either be me or something I need to correct with the player.

I'm totally having the same issues as you! I don't know if you've or any other person has figured any solution to this yet? Other than waiting for the VLC 1.2 release for Mac OSX and Movist is giving me pixelation issues as well.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It is a struggle on my Macbook with 10-bit h.264. I usually use MPlayer Extended or MPlayerX. VLC 1.3.0 nightly is my fallback. I really need to get a new laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.