Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Send Real Greeting Cards With Apple's New Cards App

Apple's newest app, Cards, was announced last week during the iPhone 4S keynote, and finally went live today.

Cards is an iOS version of the greeting card-maker built-in to iPhoto, but with a twist -- instead of printing and shipping cards to the user, who then has to buy stamps, address and mail the cards -- Apple takes care of printing, mailing, and postage and sends the card directly to the recipient, with a push notification going to the senders iPhone upon delivery.
Quote:
The new Cards app from Apple lets you create and mail beautifully crafted cards personalized with your own text and photos -- right from your iPhone or iPod touch. Take a quick snapshot and with a few taps and swipes, an elegant letterpress card is on its way to any address in the world. Each card is just $2.99 when sent within the U.S. and $4.99 when sent to or from anywhere else. And that includes postage.
The Cards app is free on the App Store for iPhone. [App Store]

Article Link: Send Real Greeting Cards With Apple's New Cards App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Twizz91
macrumors member

it's yay day!
Twizz91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Wilson1313
macrumors member

And another sweet launch by Apple!! There servers will be toast after today
Wilson1313 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

It is not a universal app...
Defender2010 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Not only that but it flat out won't install on the iPad.

EDIT: Seems to be an iOS issue not a device issue. Error message was misleading.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:35 PM   #6
jamesarm97
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Exactly, why the heck did Apple release an iPhone only designed app? The first thing I did was pull out my iPad after trying it on the iPhone to see how nice an beautiful it would look only to be greeted with the small iPhone sized screen. It still looks ok in the 2x mode, just wondering about the lack of universal support directly from Apple.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:49 PM   #7
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

The app was dated the 9th, I saw it earlier and I was wondering how I missed it. They must have uploaded it but not turned it on until today...

Gary
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

This looks pretty cool. Although, I can't really think of many people who I would mail a card to. All my family lives within miles of me and most my friends out of town are the kind of people I can easily appease with a "Happy Birthday" comment on Facebook.

Maybe one of my alter personalities will surprise me with one in the mail, one of these days.
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:03 PM   #9
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson1313 View Post
And another sweet launch by Apple!! There servers will be toast after today
And just wait until this eve when most working Americans get home to update their Macs, iDevices and Apple TVs. Ohman...

I can't recall Apple releasing more in one day than today.
Fun day for the consumer.
lazyrighteye is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:10 PM   #10
haydn!
macrumors 6502

This is a fantastic little App from Apple!

The card templates included are stunning, but all so serious! It is just crying out for the moon-pig treatment! Adding card styles that resemble movie posters, magazine and newspaper covers etc.
haydn! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:13 PM   #11
mattpreston11
macrumors 6502a

£3.99 from the UK, poor.I wouldn't ever spend that on a card.

Although tbf, I usually get iTunes credit on the cheap. So maybe?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:49 PM   #12
justinfreid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to justinfreid Send a message via AIM to justinfreid Send a message via MSN to justinfreid Send a message via Yahoo to justinfreid Send a message via Skype™ to justinfreid
Four new iOS Apps today

So Apple's released 4 new iOS apps today alongside iOS 5.
I bet a lot of iCards will be sent to 1 Infinite Loop as condolences for Steve Jobs' passing.
---
I just tried to install the app and realized it requires iOS 5.
I suppose it's possible that this uses an API that's only supported by the new OS, but otherwise there's a PLIST string that ought to be changed.

Last edited by justinfreid; Oct 12, 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: realized Cards requires iOS 5
justinfreid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:50 PM   #13
scottishwildcat
macrumors regular

Touchnote app has been doing this for a while on iOS and Android, and their postcards are cheaper to send. Just sayin'...
scottishwildcat is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:55 PM   #14
nsayer
macrumors 6502a

Meh. All it does is hang and then finally crash when I try to send a card.

Not impressed.

EDIT: After 5 tries, it finally started down the purchasing route, but fails now because I use paypal as my payment method, and it's asking me for a CVV, which is entirely not applicable.
nsayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:24 PM   #15
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Ha! This morning my wife grabbed her iphone as soon as she woke up to see if this Cards app was live yet. Out of all the things that were getting released today, I had actually forgotten about this one, but it's the only one she cared about.

Pretty decent deal, considering a greeting card bought at a store can cost anywhere from $1 - $6, plus postage. The convenience alone is a selling point.

Down side is that you might not have the right photos on your iphone/ipad, though, which would require an inconvenient synch.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:42 PM   #16
MTShipp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgalvan123 View Post
...which would require an inconvenient synch.
...and made it easier to do that with iCloud
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:22 PM   #17
samcraig
macrumors G5

Eh - the app is nice - but doesn't look really finished. I think it needs a bit of a better UI/Menu system, some font choices, etc..
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:57 PM   #18
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a

This is great, I can make and send custom cards now, how fancy! I really want to send a card now that it seems easier than ever!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 PM   #19
olivera88
macrumors newbie

Not as good as SOC

Sending out cards online is a fun and extremely easy thing to do. This is a great market for apple to get into, but the price is pretty high compared to others. Check this video out and you can send out cards for much cheaper. www.sendoutcards.com/aaronoliver
olivera88 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:19 AM   #20
0x000000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivera88 View Post
Sending out cards online is a fun and extremely easy thing to do. This is a great market for apple to get into, but the price is pretty high compared to others. Check this video out and you can send out cards for much cheaper. www.sendoutcards.com/aaronoliver
Bad actors are bad.
0x000000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:46 AM   #21
KeJaMo
macrumors newbie

the international issue

Immediate thought is the fact postage is centralised in US, so those of us in UK always pay international however although the cost of card and postage is a touch high it is not extortionate. the greatest issue though is the question of when will it be delivered. I would use this sort of service for a last minute thing when I cant get to shop or think I might miss my last post from local post box (the rather early time of 3.30pm) however the international question raises its head - just how long to get from the US to UK? Having placed an order on the 12th (around midnight UK time) I am told in my order email expect dispatch in 1-2 business days.

just had look at confirmation - says card=£2.71, shipping £0.59 and VAT@21% £0.69

last time I checked VAT was 20%, I want my 3p back!!!!
KeJaMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:01 PM   #22
rosalindavenue
macrumors 6502a

Notifications

Does anyone know why there is a notification setting for the Cards app in "settings" ? What would that app want to notify us about?

I sent one to my daughter within a few minutes of upgrading and I will update this post if I get some kind of notification.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:15 PM   #23
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalindavenue View Post
Does anyone know why there is a notification setting for the Cards app in "settings" ? What would that app want to notify us about?

I sent one to my daughter within a few minutes of upgrading and I will update this post if I get some kind of notification.

Thanks
I think you can have the Cards app notify you when the card has arrived at the local post office, and is likely to be delivered that day. They use USPS tracking information for that.
dgalvan123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:23 PM   #24
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting for this... Time to send Apple HQ and Mrs. Jobs condolence/memorial cards. style
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5
TimTheEnchanter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:32 PM   #25
RalstonBA
macrumors newbie

Why does it require a credit card???
RalstonBA is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion