Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I have somehow different problem than those talked about earlier in this forum and apple's discussion group.
I installed 10.7.2 (combo)/recovery HD update/iCloud etc. and I can enable find my mac in my mac.
But when I login into iCloud on the same machine, I cannot find my device.
There is no error message, it just not showing up
anyone else have the same problem?
I already did the disk utility check and permission etc.
still no luck
is it because iCloud is currently too busy?

Music8Guyz

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Midwest
I'm having the same issue. I went through the steps to enable it, and successfully enabled Find My Mac in the preference pane, however, once I navigate to iCloud, my laptop doesn't show up in the list at all.

Running an admin account, location services on, guest account is active.

Not sure what else to do yet.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I can see you have the same macbook pro ask I have, C2D 15 inch
Maybe hardware is not supported?
since we did not get the airdrop also

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
yeah, over wifi.
my other Macbook pro march 2011 in the same local network showed up on my iCloud without any problem, so it is not likely due to my account problems
I really begin to think it is a hardware limitation.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
went to apple store, they don't know why it does not work.
I reinstall lion, still does not work, anyone else?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I saw mention of this in another thread and did some testing with two machines. Based on my tests on a MBP and an iMac (both with iCloud and FMM on) it appears you cannot locate a machine on FMM from that same machine.

If you go to a second computer or use the iOS FMM app, it will show the machines fine.

I think this is new with 10.7.2.

Maybe Apple blocked it as a security measure.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
actually, you can look at find my mac on the same machine.
I am looking at myself right now.
Also, C2D 15in macbook pro still does not work no matter where I login in iCloud....this is even I reinstall lion and all that...nothing

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
actually, you can look at find my mac on the same machine.

I am looking at myself right now.

Not here. I just double checked from my iMac and here is what I see on FMM at iCloud.com.

20111014-8p782dftf347j73m1nc5xy636s.jpg

I can jump over to the Macbook and it will see the iMac and not itself.

Are you on 10.7.2? Maybe newer machines like mine have this features and older machines do not, but the behavior I described is consistent and repeatable for me.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
on my 2011 macbook pro, I can see myself, but not the C2D macbook pro.

both machine on 10.7.2 with everything updated.
there is no disk nor permission problem on both of them

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
on my 2011 macbook pro, I can see myself, but not the C2D macbook pro.

both machine on 10.7.2 with everything updated.
there is no disk nor permission problem on both of them

Odd. I have Filevault 2 turned on with both machines. I wonder if that makes a difference. :confused:

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I did not have file vault turn on either of the machine...I took to apple store again, they just told me to give some time for iCloud...but why would my iCloud account only work on one but not the other machine?

Arkillion

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2004
Denver, CO
I just wanted to add that I also can not find my C2D 15" MBP 2.16Ghz. My ipod touch, ipad and mac pro all show up no matter what device/computer I am on, but my MBP is not even listed. Seems like an issue with that specific model.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I went to Apple store again, and the genius is blaming this on iCloud again...

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I just wanted to add that I also can not find my C2D 15" MBP 2.16Ghz. My ipod touch, ipad and mac pro all show up no matter what device/computer I am on, but my MBP is not even listed. Seems like an issue with that specific model.

Me too - same MBP model.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Exact same MBP model, exact same problem. Its enabled and looks like its fine, but its not listed on the site on any computer, or in the iOS apps either.

Music8Guyz

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Midwest
Does anybody know if an associated device should show up regardless of if it's been located recently?

i.e. You have just enabled a device in iCloud, turn off that device, and attempt to locate it via iPhone. Would it show up in the list as a device associated with your iCloud account that has "Never Been Located" ?

Also, for what it's worth, I've made posts in the apple support community for a day or two with no real solution presented. I just sent an email to Tim Cook, since between all of our messages and one persons discussions with Apple employees blaming it on iCloud growing pains we have not been able to make any significant headway.

Perhaps I'll get a response in a few days, until then I suppose I'll keep looking for answers and trying to figure it out.

generator

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Some model (2,33ghz) same problem. My other devices (including my iMac) are showing up just fine. My MacBook is just missing in the list.

Are older models not supported?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does anybody know if an associated device should show up regardless of if it's been located recently?

i.e. You have just enabled a device in iCloud, turn off that device, and attempt to locate it via iPhone. Would it show up in the list as a device associated with your iCloud account that has "Never Been Located" ?

It would show up as inactive and it says "last located 15 minutes ago" (for example) and the last known location.

ekimeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I gave up, I think this is because older device is not supported...it is like we don't get airdrop. Anyone here know how to send this info to apple to see if they will make a update or something?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I gave up, I think this is because older device is not supported...it is like we don't get airdrop. Anyone here know how to send this info to apple to see if they will make a update or something?

I'm going to get into contact with some people with similarly aged, but non MBP machines to see if they have it working. Personally, I find it more than a coincidence that we all appear to have the same-gen MBP and are having issues; if it was an older hardware problem, we'd be likely to see people with MacBooks, iMacs, and such that were of the same "era" and were having trouble.

smudgersmiffy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
I Have exactly the same problem.

2.16ghz MBP too.

Have got the same settings as my iMac, and that works fine.

Seems it's an issue with the model.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Looks like this bug has now been fixed on old MacBook Pros - Find My Mac is fully working today as of the 10.7.5 update :)

mstriker

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
I had the same problem. My iMac was showing off-line while it is not, I have no problem connecting to the internet. By the way, I am conected via ethernet. Well, I tried to "play sound" on it. it happened about 7-10mins later after I'd logged into my "find my device". Then my iMac showed up as located. Just give it some time I suppose? It should work.

p.s. Now I have to find out why ny contacts are not syncing over the iCloud. I have more contacts on my iPhone than on the iCloud. Notes are syncing properly though. Maybe should wait a bit longer as well. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.