Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Ok so I've been trying to search around for this but don't know exactly what to do with any of the answers I've found... not a smart one at this type of thing :eek:

So I get the "your mac os x startup disk has no more space for application memory" message. I am not too sure how to alleviate this issue.

It brings up the window to close some things but the only thing in it are Firefox and finder.

My HD has 370gb used and 630gb free. My cpu says 6% user, 4% system and 90% idle. My memory says 472mb wired, 637mb active, 105mb inactive and 6.85gb free.

With the most simplest of explanations, what the heck do i do? I assume a restart will temporarily fix this issue but what do i have to do to fix it?

The issue is on my iMac.. thanks for any help!

Last edited:

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
630GB free? or 630MB free?

The system is acting like you're out of RAM and disk space.
sorry, 630gb free. I have a 1tb HD and 8gb of ram with practically nothing running.

I just cant figure out how i could be out of anything. Everything was closed down in my applications except finder and firefox.

twinturbo350z

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
I'm having a similar problem so i freed up my bootcamp partition which was 220gigs about an hour later i get the message again and it said i had 900mb avail I've jus browsed the internet what could possibly have take 200 gigs in that short amount of time

IC3D

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Fairfield County, CT
This happens with me over and over again with Mail.. mail from my Recovered Mail keeps coming back, after I delete it from the folder and from Mail.app. Weird stuff man. lol

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I don't use the mail app. It opens every once in awhile but the only place i use it is on my phone. I just go directly to Yahoo for my mail on the computer. But no it was not open when i got the message.

And no I'm not on Lion. I'm on the latest update of Snow Leopard as is my MBP which is use the same way as my iMac generally (i.e. no mail program). But have no issues on my MBP.

I will try AppleJack and report back... thanks

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
This happens with me over and over again with Mail.. mail from my Recovered Mail keeps coming back, after I delete it from the folder and from Mail.app. Weird stuff man. lol

You have an email message stuck in the .OfflineCache of one of your IMAP accounts. I found an Apple Script earlier this year that will clear it out. I'm on my iPhone, so it's much easier just to tell you to google ".OfflineCache". Somewhere along the line, you tried to send a message that was too big, and Mail did not fail gracefully. It's an invisible folder inside the IMAP mailbox on your Mac. Clear that out, and this problem will go away.

Oh, and your IMAP account will start working again.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
I don't use the mail app. It opens every once in awhile but the only place i use it is on my phone. I just go directly to Yahoo for my mail on the computer. But no it was not open when i got the message.

And no I'm not on Lion. I'm on the latest update of Snow Leopard as is my MBP which is use the same way as my iMac generally (i.e. no mail program). But have no issues on my MBP.

I will try AppleJack and report back... thanks

Boot from the recovery disk 1 that came with your PC (or the Snow Leopard disk if you upgraded from previous OS). Then run Disk Utility and select the hard drive and click the Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions). If it reports any errors, hit Repair Disk afterwards.

Had this on two Macs over the last month and both have been fine since running the disk repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.