Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
A widget comes with the iPhone in iOS 5, but not iPad. Anyone know how to get weather info on the lock screen via 3rd party?

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
yup, API for widgets has not been distributed to developers, as far as I know.
If they were able to notify you on the weather everyday, i.e. 8AM, then it would appear in notification screen every morning, just like Facebook.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Well there is some kind of a workaround. There is an app that subscribes you to one or more weather calendars. It's called WeatherCals.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id438449201?mt=8

So if acivated it will show you the weather in notifications as calendar entries—when you tap on it it will open calendar and give some more details about the weather in your region. I've got the app when it was free and it works pretty well. It looks like this on iPad 2:

weathercalsipad2ios5.png

Sorry it's German. Wolkenlos means no clouds.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Thanks for the tip this works great for the time being. There is an english version and a lite for free.

Well there is some kind of a workaround. There is an app that subscribes you to one or more weather calendars. It's called WeatherCals.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id438449201?mt=8

So if acivated it will show you the weather in notifications as calendar entries—when you tap on it it will open calendar and give some more details about the weather in your region. I've got the app when it was free and it works pretty well. It looks like this on iPad 2:

Sorry it's German. Wolkenlos means no clouds.

Fiddler70

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2010
Accuweather app can do it.

Fist enable it in the app's settings. Then turn it off and on for notification center in settings>notifications.

There are no graphics as of yet, but it works.

Cheers

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
Celsius and Fahrenheit both work with the Notification Centre. No graphics, just a temperature update, but it's good for the iPad and only requires a tap to take you to the full app.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
Celsius and Fahrenheit both work with the Notification Centre. No graphics, just a temperature update, but it's good for the iPad and only requires a tap to take you to the full app.
I've used Fahrenheit as well, and with a little fiddling, it works as described. My big issue is that is pushes an update every 30 minutes. Two problems. You'll notifications will be filled with weather updates and it is a battery life killer. That being said, if have quick access to weather in notifications, these apps do the trick.

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
I have the Accuweather Platinum app and there are no options for notifications. It does not even show up on the list of apps to activate for notifications. Are you running the other version of Accuweather as there are two iPad versions in the app store.

Thanks, Dave

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I've used Fahrenheit as well, and with a little fiddling, it works as described. My big issue is that is pushes an update every 30 minutes. Two problems. You'll notifications will be filled with weather updates and it is a battery life killer. That being said, if have quick access to weather in notifications, these apps do the trick.

I can honestly say that using Celsius seems to have no adverse affect on my iPad's battery, but I admit that I don't use it with the iPhone 4S since I am worried about just that! Besides, there's the inbuilt weather widget on the iPhone anyway.

As long as you set your notifications as follows:

Settings > Notifications > Celsius (or Fahrenheit) > Show > 1 Recent item

Then your notifications won't be filled with updates.

----------

I have the Accuweather Platinum app and there are no options for notifications. It does not even show up on the list of apps to activate for notifications. Are you running the other version of Accuweather as there are two iPad versions in the app store.

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave. I might be wrong, but I think you have to have the iPhone app & set the settings in that app. Perhaps someone who's used it can verify.

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Hi Dave. I might be wrong, but I think you have to have the iPhone app & set the settings in that app. Perhaps someone who's used it can verify.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. That was it. Installed, enabled, restarted and I have a weather widget on a gen1 iPad. Thank you.

Regards, Dave

Last edited:

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I too have the AccuWeather iPad app. It does not have the option to add weather to the Notifications. So I downloaded the free iPhone app and enabled the Notifications. But then I decided it was confusing having both so I deleted the iPhone app. Well, even though I deleted it I still have the notifications showing up. So the iPad app seems to have the functionality but not the interface.

I tried WeatherCal and it worked fine but it made my calendar so crowded that I had to delete it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.