Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsac77

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Agreed. This never happened before ios5. Is new information being synced? And why is it always for 233 songs only (in my case)?

Does anybody know ANYTHING about this?

Tsac77

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
I unchecked Genius in the General section of iTunes but the data still syncs with my iPhone. Is there a different way I'm supposed to turn it off?

bewitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
There is no "turn off genius" option in Store

What do you do if there isn't an option to turn off Genius? I tried one supposed fix by turning off iTunes Match, but under Store there isn't an option to turn off Genius.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
i turned off genius on iTunes and then deleted all the songs and resented them! no more problems! genius is the problem it has a bug i think!

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
Agreed. This never happened before ios5. Is new information being synced? And why is it always for 233 songs only (in my case)?

Does anybody know ANYTHING about this?
i'm getting this also. seems to always sync 91 songs and always the same songs. the sync completes ok (no hangs etc) but i wonder what exactly is being sync'd and why the same quantity/tunes each time?! :confused:

does not matter if genius is on or off on the left sidebar, i still get the syncs

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2012
Sucks for you guys, it only does this for 20 songs for me.
The solution to the problem? There is none. Apple needs to hire some better developers.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
so if i delete all the songs this gets solved?
how can i find out which songs? they all go fast (180 songs)

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I get this for 368 songs. iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1. It must be a bug. For me it's not a big deal though it takes no more than 15 seconds to process the "Genius data"

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
It definitely seems like a bug in the way genius data is stored on an iOS music database.

Note that the initial genius sync could take a while so let it run once but if you keep seeing a portion of your library syncing genius data then you are experiencing the bug.

It looks like it's caused by having two or more songs with the same name in your library. They do not have to be exactly the same but one has to at least begin with the full name of the other. The songs do not have to be from the same artist. At least one of the songs needs to have genius data that is trying to sync with a device.

For example here are some of the songs that have multiple similarly named songs in my library. These will cause one of the songs in the set to have continuous genius syncing:

Novocaine for the Soul by Eels
Novocaine for the Soul (Live from Hell) by Eels
Novocaine for the Soul (Moog Cookbook Remix) by Eels

---------

Icky Thump by The White Stripes
Icky Thump (Live) by The White Stripes

---------

Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC
Shoot to Thrill (Dummy audio track I recorded and gave same name as another song)

I'll be submitting a bug detailing this. Submit duplicates of the bug so Apple will pay attention to this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note to iTunes Match users. It also appears that after an iTunes Match update (adding new music) iTunes will perform a sync of a larger section of the Genius Data information. This is likely due to the fact that iTunes Match and Genius are tied together and perhaps doing an iTunes Match update brings down slightly altered Genius Data.

Last edited:

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
I get this for 368 songs. iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1. It must be a bug. For me it's not a big deal though it takes no more than 15 seconds to process the "Genius data"

Yes, I'll agree, it's not a big deal, but it is extremely annoying.

Please fix in iOS 6, Apple!

tunebeach

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Installed IOS 6--Syncing Genius Data still an issue

I do have a few songs with nearly the same title, but I'd hoped that IOS 6 would stop the continuous syncing thing. I guess it's not actually hanging, so maybe it's not the same problem others were describing, but I don't know what good it is supposed to be doing me to have this information synced at all.

rien333

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The Netherlands
Confirmed to be still present in iOS 6.0.1. It is pretty bad in my case, it syncs the data of about 1200 - 3100 songs, sometimes a bit more if I haven't synced in a while.

M

mäcki

really a bad bug

he synced 2988 Genius song informations
five minutes later next sync 1345
and i didn`t even touch the ipad meanwhile.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-11-28 um 19.42.13.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-11-28 um 19.42.13.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Bildschirmfoto 2012-11-28 um 19.31.01.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-11-28 um 19.31.01.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 422

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Looks like that doesn't happen in new iTunes (latest version)

I'm using iTunes 11. My iPod is syncing genius data. 6,970 songs. It's going to take about 20 minutes.

It's stuff like this that makes people switch to Android devices, Spotify, etc.

Edit -- might take an hour.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Happening to me as well...

OS 10.8.2
iTunes 11
iPhone 4S

On first sync, updated the whole library's genius info. On second sync immediately after synced about 55% of the library. Third sync immediately after, nothing.

We'll see going forward.

UPDATE:

Next sync on 12/7, updated 50% of the library's genius info and on the sync immediately following updated 50% again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.