Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ermoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I hope this gets answered by the time I get to work. I have been without a phone for a while now.

Basically, I used a friend's dad's upgrade to get the new 4S. I went through the process of activating the iPhone (I stuck my micro sim from my old 4 into the 4S). At the end of the activation process, it says are you sure this information is correct? **And shows HIS information. Even though MY sim card is the one in the phone.

I understand that it is using Apple's servers to get that information based off the IMEI.

So my question is, if I click NEXT, will it deactivate HIS iPhone 3G sim card? Forcing him to have to go to AT&T to get a new one? Is there any way around deactivating his sim card?

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
No I can't say this for sure, because every situation is different. So please don't do anything based off what I have said. I had a similar issue with an iPhone 4 8 gig I just bought my mom. It's for a new line on our family plan, but I was porting her number from Verizon to at&t.

When I got the phone and went to activate it, it kept saying it was for MY phone number. I promptly called apple before I went any further. However, as soon as I went past that, it ported her number and everything went fine. Just seems extremely terribly worded. I didn't have any problems though. Read disclaimer again :D

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
I did the same thing last year. Basically once you hit NEXT, it will disable your friend's dad's existing SIM card and activate the SIM associated with the iPhone 4S. You should not put your SIM in because it might cause a conflict with the servers trying to verify the SIM. He will have to go into an AT&T corporate store and get a new SIM. Unless he already has an iPhone 4 in which case all you have to do is give him the activated micro-SIM and he can put that in.

You will also want to call AT&T to associate the iPhone 4S IMEI to your account. I was told that if AT&T cannot find the device on your friend's dad's account, he will get charge with the full unsubsidized price of the iPhone 4S. Something about people buying the iPhone's on subsidized price and selling them for full price elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I was told that if AT&T cannot find the device on your friend's dad's account, he will get charge with the full unsubsidized price of the iPhone 4S. Something about people buying the iPhone's on subsidized price and selling them for full price elsewhere.

I find this hard to believe. After you buy the phone and sign the contract, AT&T doesn't care what phone you're using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.