Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I am trying to send an iMessage with and without a picture and it keeps telling me iMessage not delivered.

I have about 10 apps installed on my phone, iPhone 4, 16GB, Verizon.

No programs open and it seems to be getting stuck at SENDING....

Is this a problem with my phone or iMessage?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Who are you trying to message? (someone's iPhone or iPod touch/iPad) and do they have iOS 5?

If its someone's iPhone, if the iMessage doesn't go through within 2-5 mins, it reverts back to an SMS/MMS, so this issue might be the person on the other end.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

ggmissmolly said:
The previous poster is correct. The recipient must have an ios5 idevice and be attached to WiFi at the time.

And u are incorrect!

Yes they have to be an iOS 5 user but if it's an iPhone they don't need wifi

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
OK thanks for the correction...but...I think iMessages do not travel over the cellular system. Therefore if they are delivered to a device not attached to WiFi they will be delivered as regular text messages.

If sent to an e mail address they just won't be delivered and if sent to a phone number will become regular texts.

Am I wrong? Correct me if I am please.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
OK thanks for the correction...but...I think iMessages do not travel over the cellular system. Therefore if they are delivered to a device not attached to WiFi they will be delivered as regular text messages.

If sent to an e mail address they just won't be delivered and if sent to a phone number will become regular texts.

iMessages can be sent over a 3G data connection, not just Wi-Fi.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010

Not to be rude, but yes you are incorrect. My wife and I both keep wifi off during the day while at work to save battery, and we send iMessages to each other constantly over 3G.

For OP, my wife and I haven't had any problems sending or receiving so far. They always go through as iMessages on the first try with no failure alerts. I wonder what both of your 3G connections are like when trying this. If you have a failed message, immediately try to call the other person's phone to see if calls work at that time. If calls work, then you should call iPhone support or go to an Apple store for help.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I don't think you're rude. I'm trying to understand this.

iMessages are free...text messages are paid by various plans or per message to your carrier....so if the message is sent via 3G it must be a paid text message. If it goes over the internet (thus WiFi) its free...exactly where am I wrong?

I did not say the message would not be delivered. I said it would become a regular text delivered over the cellular system (and thus a paid text). I still think I'm right.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

iMessages are free...text messages are paid by various plans or per message to your carrier....so if the message is sent via 3G it must be a paid text message. If it goes over the internet (thus WiFi) its free...exactly where am I wrong?

I did not say the message would not be delivered. I said it would become a regular text delivered over the cellular system (and thus a paid text). I still think I'm right.

A paid text (aka SMS) is one that goes over your cellular connection. A "free" text (aka iMessage) is one that goes over your data connection, whether it be 3G or Wi-Fi.

However, unless you have an unlimited data plan, iMessages aren't exactly free, since they use data.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Thanks..you are correct..I actually read the instructions! iMessages can be delivered over 3G but are still free. So the only restriction is that the recipient have an ios5 iDevice.

EJ257

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011

I just wanted to clear something up. 3G data and WiFi data is still going over the same Internet to get to your pals. On Wifi you getting there through your cable/DSL/FiOS/Corporate LAN. On 3G (HSDPA/HSUPA) your data is getting to the Internet via the cellular network. iMessage treats the text message as data so whether its sent over 3G or Wifi it still leaving the phone as data. There are tons of 3rd party apps that did this (ie: Beluga) before Apple came out with iMessage and they all work the same way. Encapsulate the text and treat it as data.

Traditionally SMS text messages are sent over the signaling links not regular traffic channels (voice or data). Your calls and Internet surfing are going through the voice traffic channels (TCH) and packet data channels (PDCH). That's why there is a 160 character limit per text because that's how big the payload for the signalling slot is. Now with 3G this gets blurred a little bit because text message can now be encoded as data on your phone and sent out over the data channels. But as a fall back it can still access the signalling channel if the packet data channels are congested. I think this is what is happening sometimes when your trying to send a iMessage with just the WWAN connected and it goes out as a text instead.

juliainor

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
I am also having iMessage problems.

I am on an iPhone 4S. My husband is on an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

He sends and receives iMessages to and from me without any trouble.

I, on the other hand, have issues. EVERY TIME I send an iMessage to him, it fails the first time. If I select "Try Again," it will resend and deliver that time, as an iMessage (it also works if I resend as SMS).

Any ideas??? It is driving me crazy.

EJ257

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I am also having iMessage problems.

I am on an iPhone 4S. My husband is on an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

He sends and receives iMessages to and from me without any trouble.

I, on the other hand, have issues. EVERY TIME I send an iMessage to him, it fails the first time. If I select "Try Again," it will resend and deliver that time, as an iMessage (it also works if I resend as SMS).

Any ideas??? It is driving me crazy.

Yes, in Settings>Messages make sure "Send As SMS" is off. This will ensure its iMessage or nothing. This does not however affect SMS to non-iOS5 devices, those will still be SMS.

iloveiphone4

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Not to hijack the OP's thread, i think his problem was solved, mine is still persinstent with same error.

I have an iphone 4 with baseband 1.59 on IOS 5(planning to use it with that $30 walmart tmobile plan). I have an old ATT SIM which has been deactivated some time ago. I just installed IOS 5 and no matter what I try I always get Message not delivered error. I have made sure that my apple ID to receive at is valid. When I start typing the iMessage, the button turns blue indicating its an iMessage. I am trying to iMessage my iPad and see if it works which is setup with a different email account. Can anyone suggest any ideas. I tried to use iMessage when I just installed IOS 5 without restoring from backup of any of my settings or apps.

Does an iPhone need a working SIM for iMessage and Facetime to activate ?

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Its still not as smooth as I would like it to be.

I followed the above suggestion of turning Send as SMS to OFF so that it would be iMsg or nothing and it still is taking a while to send the message and if a picture is involved its painfully slow even over wifi and it more often than not fails

Also i can rarely see when the other person is typing and i know they are bc we are texting back and forth (she is on an iphone with imsg and same carrier as me so should be no issue).

I guess there are still some bugs to be ironed out however this is the type of crap that made me switch from Android to iPhone in the first place.

I hated dealing with WiFi connectivity issues on my phones and other random important features not working on my Android devices. Now my 2011 13'' Macbook Air wont connect to WiFi properly EVER and my iPhone's iMessage is not smooth at all. Hate to vent and vent but when you see millions of people using products that JUST WORK it really is frustrating when yours DONT

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah a not delivered message indicates a problem on the other enc not your end. It is nice knowing the other person did not get your message.

As to why it could be a number of things.

iloveiphone4

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
marksman - could you please suggest some solutions i could try... the one test i ran on my ipad 2 was - if i try to message the same email i setup imessage with on my ipad 2 - i immediately get the imessage... so i know it is working on my ipad 2 - but on my iphone 4 - i always get msg not delivered even if i message myself. a not so good test, but thats the only thing i have now.

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
You can try turning off imessage for a minute or two in settings>messages then turning it back on. I've seen in other threads that it fixed the problems for some people.

EJ257

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
With the whole logging in with your Apple ID, I'm beginning to wonder if iMessages actually have to pass through Apple's servers. If that is the case it could just be congestion on Apple's servers that are preventing you from sending/receiving message.

Has anyone try with a different messenger app when iMessage fails? I also use Beluga and when I had difficulty with iMessage sending a photo I used Beluga. It was also slow going so I'm guessing it was my 3G connection at the time that was holding me back. When I am home on wifi I've never had a problem thus far. I have tried it with 3G on + wifi and 3G in airplane mode with just wifi on.

Wiggo

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Memphis, TN
Found in another forum: change DNS setting to 8.8.8.8 in Wifi settings (that's Google's free DNS server).

Don't know why, but this eliminated the "Try again" problem for me.

Last edited:

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I'm having this same issue at times, so silly question, but change the DNS settings on the iPhone or on your home wireless router?

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
Delayed and Not Delivered messages could also be due to Apple Servers being bogged down. All voice commands and iMessages go through the same server. So if there are congestions on their servers, things will get delayed or not sent at all. Happens often with SIRI and iMessage for me. I agree that your connection (wifi or 3G) can be a factor. But when everything else is speedy on that connection (ie. internet, regular texting pic or video, email, etc..), but SIRI and iMessage are slow, chances are it's Apple's servers. Hopefully they address this issue. It's been on going since the launch of iOS 5.

iloveiphone4

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
i found this solution to work better for me, not sure if it works for everyone.. i tried it to test out a iphone 4s battery drain problem..

basically, you have to reset your iphone, Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset All Settings. it will not delete any of your apps/music/pics, but it will reset all settings. Once it is reset, i noticed that my imessage and facetime are activated properly and work fine. i tried it a couple of times already and both times it worked fine. i know it is a pain to setup all your settings once again, but a solution none the less for people suffering from imessage not delivered problems.

istariphoenix

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010

No...you're definitely wrong. Check your facts. iMessages is simply sent via Apple's servers as data and transmits much quicker than carrier-based SMS message submission. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether you're on 3G or Wifi. It works on either just fine. It is not Wifi-dependent.

I however am having problems sending texts to non-iOS users if iMessage is enabled, especially if the messages are lengthy. If they're lengthy, and the recipient is not an iPhone or iPad user, the message simply disappears. Nice going, Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.