Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Here's my problem. At present my apple TV is connected to my Tv via my wireless home network internet router which is nowhere near my apple TV. The signal strength is quite poor and it takes ages to buffer. My wireless router is only g rated and obviously a new n router should sort out the issue however, I thought before I go out and buy a new router I thought I'd ask first if it is possible to just connect my apple TV wirelessly to my Imac. Obviously not using my home network which just isn't powerful enough. If it's possible, please tell me how.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Yes. Assuming that your iMac is connected via wired network to your router. You'd share the internet connection from your iMac to the Apple TV. Enable Internet Sharing and set it to share your Ethernet connection to Wifi/Airport. Then set the network settings on the iMac, and connect to that network via the Apple Tv.

munders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
unfortunately, I cannot connect my mac to the router with the ethernet cable because my imac is in a different room to that of my router.

surely there must be another way around it. What if I was in some remote area of the world where there was no internet. If all i have is an Imac and an apple tv, they must be capable of being connected wirelessly ?

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Try buying an Airport Express? It's only 99 bucks and there are even more affordable used ones on eBay.

munders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I already have an Airport Express upstairs which i use for my music. I have gone through the settings to extend the wireless network for that but as it's upstairs it doesn't service my apple Tv that well. I only get 3 bars on the signal strength. Do you have a suggestion to incorporate the airport extreme.

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
unfortunately, I cannot connect my mac to the router with the ethernet cable because my imac is in a different room to that of my router.

surely there must be another way around it. What if I was in some remote area of the world where there was no internet. If all i have is an Imac and an apple tv, they must be capable of being connected wirelessly ?

The iMac and AppleTV can be connected wirelessly using the iMac to create a wireless network, but the iMac must have a wired internet connection for the iMac and AppleTV to have any internet connectivity.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
You can only connect to one device using WiFi on the iMac, so if you are connected to the router wirelessly, you cannot share the connection from your iMac wirelessly. However, if you are connected over ethernet, you can use the WiFi to share that ethernet connection wirelessly. It only works one way, either it is receiving the connection, or sending the connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.