Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony81586

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
So I bought the juice Pack Air last week and its a life saver. Truly awesome and a great dual-purpose case. My issue stems around charging. While I have no issues charging my phone with the Mophie itself, but at night when I charge both my phone and the juice pack simultaneously. The issue is when I wake up after approximately 8 hours of sleeping (charging), my phone battery reads between 96-98% full. The Mophie is fully charged. Why won't the phone top off?

Anyone else having this same issue? I let it charge with the toggle switch on off. I'll try it on tonight, but I don't see how that would effect it. Any help would greatly be appreciated, as I did re-read the instruction manual and it mentions nothing of this. Thanks.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
So I bought the juice Pack Air last week and its a life saver. Truly awesome and a great dual-purpose case. My issue stems around charging. While I have no issues charging my phone with the Mophie itself, but at night when I charge both my phone and the juice pack simultaneously. The issue is when I wake up after approximately 8 hours of sleeping (charging), my phone battery reads between 96-98% full. The Mophie is fully charged. Why won't the phone top off?

Anyone else having this same issue? I let it charge with the toggle switch on off. I'll try it on tonight, but I don't see how that would effect it. Any help would greatly be appreciated, as I did re-read the instruction manual and it mentions nothing of this. Thanks.

Yes you need to turn the power switch off to the case. The reason is that the phone is constantly charging which takes some juice.

So what happens is the phone pulls juice from the case, to charge the phone leaving the case not at 100%. The case then pulls juice from the wall. The phone requires more juice to run when charging so it pulls more power from the case thus reducing the power in the case. Even if you press the button on the case and it flashes full that doesn't mean it is 100%. It is probably between 95% and 99%.

This cycle continues in a loop.

Basically turn the case off and charge. What that does it allows the pass through of the micro USB to act as just that. A pass through port. The phone charges first and then the case. Once the case is fully charged, no more juice goes to it. It goes all and only to the phone acting as if you are plugging it in directly.

The TL:DR version is shut the power of the case off. As a comparison, I can fully charge my phone and Juice Pack Plus (which has a greater capacity) in a little more than five hours from practically dead.

Anthony81586

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Okay than there's obviously something wrong with mine because I do charge it with the toggle switch off and yet again I woke up and the phone is 97%...looks like I'll b trading it in. Thanks for the response

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.